No announcement yet.

Make Exchange Server DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Exchange Server DC

If you have a member server with Exchange 2003 on it can you make the server a DC?

Re: Make Exchange Server DC

No, In order to make it a DC (I would recommend agains it) you will have to remove exchange, promote it and then re-install exchange. The same goes for when demoting a DC to a member server. You need to remove exchange, demote it and the re-install exchange.

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

For security reasons, it is not recommended to run MS Exchange on a domain controller.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Another issue about making a Exchange server a DC is about restoring the ser ver from a backup if it has crashed.WHEN you have more then 1 DC (you always have(if you don't install it on your 1st DC that is), becauce you cant install without having an AD)). You will then restore an old copy of the AD, It might work... but I woulnd't try.....

The recommendation is always to NOT making the Exchange server a DC and putting the databases and the transaction logs on separate physical drives.

Last: When in your case you have an Exchange server working and running, don't make trouble for you by making it a DC. When I meet companies that are using a server for both DC and EXchange I recommend then to separate those 2 roles to 2 different servers. These servers are too important to play with.

Just some thoughts,
        Zeb (IT manager)

Also see:

Slow Shutdown of Exchange 2003 Server Installed on DC:

Problems with Exchange 2003 Installed on Domain Controllers:

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT