Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can not modify Description value of Display name so that they match for distribution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can not modify Description value of Display name so that they match for distribution

We've inherited an exisiting MS Exchange 2003 SP2 installation. Some distribution lists were created which have different descriptions then their display name. I hope I'm using the correct terminology so I will elaborate. When I create a new email and type the first letter of the distribution list in the To: field for the Finance distribution list, Finance <Accounting> will appear. Management would like to rectify this so that Finance <Finance> appears. I've tried changing the following values in ADUC to no avail:
    - group name (pre-2000)
    - description
    - simple display name
    - email addresses, X400, edit

I wondering if it is not something that has been set and no can only be changed with ADSIEDIT, however, I have no idea if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not ... arf arf.

Re: Can not modify Description value of Display name so that they match for distribution

Arf. Arf. I do believe you're barking up the wrong tree.

The information that is showing up in the Outlook client when you start typing letters in the "TO:" field is cached in Outlook on the workstation. I don't believe this is server specific.

So it sounds like all you want to do is delete the cached entry and replace it with a new one.

To do so, create a new Email, type F in the TO: field so that Finance shows up in the drop down list of all cached names starting with the letter F. When you do that, scroll down in the list until Finance is highlighted, then hit the delete key. This will remove the Finance mailbox from the list of cached entries in Outlook.

Now put in the proper address Finance <Finance> in the TO: field, looking it up in the GAL or your Contacts List if you need to, and send a test Email to Finance <Finance>.

Once you do this, Finance <Finance> should now be a cached recipient in the Outlook client and should show up as soon as you type the letter F in the TO: field.

Hope that helps,
    Jas
    Last edited by jasonboche; 2nd May 2006, 17:03. Reason: typo
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Can not modify Description value of Display name so that they match for distribut

Good day Jas,

This certainly worked and resolved the issue on my workstation. Thank you very much. I would, however, like to resolve this issue for everyone, especially management. Is there any way to clear the cache via a script and then to pass the proper values from the server side ?

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
      Zardoz

Comment

Re: Can not modify Description value of Display name so that they match for distribution

As Jason said, this information is foud on the client side. What he didn't say was that the information is cached on a file called NK2, in the user's local profile.

You can use a program called Ingressor, found at http://www.ingressor.com. It's expensive, but it will allow you to open remote NK2 files and edit them, delete entries, modify them and add new ones.

It's the only program that lets you do that as far as I know.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Can not modify Description value of Display name so that they match for distribut

Hi Jason, Hi Daniel,

Someone gave me the solution to my problem. My thoery about ADSIEdit was correct afterall.

1) Run ADSIEdit, go to your distribution list filename, right-click and select properties.

2) Select and click edit for LegacyExchangeDN attribute.

3) Modify the cn value and then click ok.

4) Rebuild your offline address list in Exchange

On the workstation, you are correct that this info is cached in:
          PATH : %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook file Outlook.NK2

You may delete this file, and then regenerate the cache with CTRL-K as this info is stored in the GAL.

Otherwise, you may edit the attribute with Ingressor as Daniel mentioned.

Thank you to the both of you for your assistance and have a great day

Comment

Working...
          X