Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

give Access with outlook outside company.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• give Access with outlook outside company.

Hi all.
    lame question but i need to know.
    im using exchange 2000 as my mail server, smtp work find send and recive.
    i want to configure my home computer to sync with my work exhcnage.
    couldnt find any guide how to do so...
    can i configure my server as POP3
    i read somthing about RPC over HTTP, is that my answer ?
    could any1 give me some guidence ?

thanks

Re: give Access with outlook outside company.

When you say sync do you mean downloading all the messages to your home computer??

Why not get your company to invest in a laptop for yourself and then you can dial in using some sort of VPN software and pick up your mail that way.

Or you could also use web mail.

I wouldn't use POP3 to download your mals from your work server, but hey thats just me.

Does this comply with your IT policy to allow you access to your mails from a home PC??

BTW as far as i can remember RPC over HTTP is only available in Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003. I could be wrong though.

Comment

thanks wullieb1 for all your advice...

i check myself and you right RDP over HTTP is exchange 2003 only.

i didnt want to open POP3 in my exchange server but i had to give
      a 2nd branch office of our the ability to use mail without creating an exchange server at there offices, and i didnt want them to be connected via VPN all day because i think it takes lot of bandwith... while being connected all day
      (or its just me).

i wanted to ask u somthing, u said u wouldnt open POP3 protocol at you exchange... can i ask you why ?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ravx
        i wanted to ask u somthing, u said u wouldnt open POP3 protocol at you exchange... can i ask you why ?

thanks.
        Certainly.

I wouldn't use POP3 for business unless i really needed to as it, in my opinion can be a pain in the backside to manage.

I think it all comes down to the end users that i have come across. Each one wants to have the capability to have there mail backed u each night as to help with restoration, now i know you can leave a copy of the messages on the server but i can't remember if this includes sent items. Then you have to contend with users downloading each individual mail from the server, fully i might add, which will ultimately all your bandwidth.

In your situation i would really think about using web mail as Exchange 2000 supports that no problem.

BTW we have 3 VPN's setup at our office here and notice very little impact on our internet connection.

Again this is in my opinion so please take it as you will.
        Last edited by wullieb1; 26th April 2006, 11:07.

Comment

Working...
        X