Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Exchange Servers

Hi,
    I am currently setting up a second exchange server at one site. We have told the ISP about the second Exchange box (2003) and they have registered it in the MX records as the second server.

My question is what happens if a mail comes to first server and the user's mailbox is located in the second server? Does the first server send it back saying no user exists or does it route to the second server?

Do I have to set up a connector betweent the exchange servers?

Regards

Paawan

Re: Multiple Exchange Servers

Hello,
    You asked "what happens if a mail comes to first server and the user's mailbox is located in the second server? Does the first server send it back saying no user exists or does it route to the second server?"

Answer: Emails sent to your SMTP domain are routed internally. It doesn't matter witch internal mail server stores the user mail boxes.
    For more details read: Exchange Server 2003 Transport and Routing Guide
    (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true)

"Do I have to set up a connector between the Exchange Servers?"
    If your second exchange server is in a different routing group, you have to set up a site connector. If both are in the same routing group you have to do nothing.

Regards,
    Csaba
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Working...
    X