Exchange for IntRAnet, ISP mail for IntERnet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange for IntRAnet, ISP mail for IntERnet

Howdy folks, at my company we have an Exchange Server 2003 which is not connected to the outside world. We use it to host our calendars & Free/Busy information. We also have an ISP controlled mail server.

Our Outlook 2003 is set to connect to ISP mail server first, then connect to internal Exchange Server second, on a Send/Recv.

The problem we are having is that when you send a Calendar meeting request out, it goes to ISP mail server. Then the person recving downloads from mail server. Since the mail was originally composed using Active Directory mail accounts... well let's just say the Meeting Reply function gets messed up. Calendar meeting Accept/Deny/Propose New Time doesn't work! No message gets sent back. It's as if it doesn't know who the message came from. If you look at the senders Free/Busy information, it can't find it! I looked at the message text and it is putting in a different GUID it seems.

I think the problem is that Exchange Server is not associating the SMTP address (from what it sees as coming from an external server) with the Active Directory account that has that very same SMTP address. (I was wondering if maybe Alias could help here?)

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks for your help! I've been pulling my hair out over this & have tried a lot of stuff already.

BTW the company wants to keep all mail arriving at ISP mail server because they don't want to expose the internal Exchange Server to the outside & they want our sales people to be able to download their new mail whenever they want.

Darrell

Re: Exchange for IntRAnet, ISP mail for IntERnet

I would look into the way your server and network is set up, it seems that you might be having some name resolution issues.

Some questions:

Is the internal domain name the same as the external?

Why not work with Exchange? Tell your bosses that it's time they learn to trust a product that has over 60% of the mail server market share in the world, and unless they're a super secret government organization, there is really no need to worry.

What sort of addresses are you using internally?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hmm, now that I think about it, I think Exchange Server is not even the issue here. It's Active Directory.

When I send out my Calendar item, the Sent Item folder has the meeting request and it says it's From: Joe Blow [[email protected]] on behalf of Joe Blow

...which means it's sending it as a delegate... ? I thought there was a problem with replying to calendar meeting requests sent from delegates? I suppose it is defaulting to sending it as a delegate because it is sending the e-mail to our ISP mail provider rather than through our Exchange Server.

Perhaps if I could figure out a way to get Exchange Server to send *ALL* e-mail to the ISP mail server, then it wouldn't send it out in "delegate" format. However Exchange Server has that great rule that it must always hold on to mail being delivered to anyone in its Global Address List. AHHH.

Darrell

Comment

I have openned up a ticket with Microsoft about this issue. I will report back when they, hopefully, figure it out.

I am guessing they will just say, "Exchange Server was not intended for this type of setup".

Darrell

Comment

This was Microsoft's official reply:

Issue:
          ======
          -Unable to see accept /deny meeting request send by pop3 accounts

Resolution:
          ===========

-Product functionality

-If ISP has a MAPI server, client’s meeting request should go through MAPI server

Comment

Bingo. As I said, I'd go for some network design changes if I were you.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I was thinking maybe I could lower some Outlook security setting via a Group Policy Option from the Office 11 add-in? Maybe tell Outlook it's okay to associate an SMTP address to an Active Directory account even though GUID doesn't match but SMTP string does. Thoughts?

Darrell

Comment

Working...
              X