Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy All Sent Messages to Archive for Monitoring and Storage

Hi

We have SBS2003 running Exchange 2003 with SMTP mail.

Does anyone know if it is possible to copy all messages, sent by our users, to a central mailbox in the same way as all incoming messages can be forwarded to a mailbox - we have a "Secretary" mailbox set up into which all incoming messages are copied via Delivery Options in User setup properties.

Regards

Graham
    Last edited by grd; 28th March 2006, 12:59.

Re: Copy All Sent Messages to Archive for Monitoring and Storage

I've mentioned this before, but you can setup a public folder and configure the smtp properties to archive all sent and received email in it. This will also keep the sizes of your main email databases down as the mail will be stored in your public folder databases, but remember they still have the same limitations in size.

Although its for exchange 2000, its pretty much the same in 2003. See:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF011.html

Comment

Excellent, it works a treat.

I been searching for this facility for ages and now it seems so obvious!!

Thanks

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by tmlt
        I've mentioned this before, but you can setup a public folder and configure the smtp properties to archive all sent and received email in it. This will also keep the sizes of your main email databases down as the mail will be stored in your public folder databases, but remember they still have the same limitations in size.

Although its for exchange 2000, its pretty much the same in 2003. See:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF011.html
        Archiving in a PF will double your store sizes in total, because if a message is sent to the mailbox it will also be delivered to the PF. However, you can configure the PF to delete items older than X days.

If you need the PF to actually store history of your mail transactions for a long time I suggest you look at a different archiving method, something that deals with SQL or other archiving methods.

GFI has a nice product that does that.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks, but we already have a process in place where we archive off to PSTs on a monthly basis.

Graham

Comment

Well then in that case go for it, just monitor the PF store size, you might need to periodically perform offline defrags on it due to the exessive addition and deletion of items.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
              Well then in that case go for it, just monitor the PF store size, you might need to periodically perform offline defrags on it due to the exessive addition and deletion of items.
              Funny enough, I carried out a defrag just last week.

In reality, nothing has changed in terms of size as all incoming were copied into a central mailbox and, in theory, all outgoing were bcc to same mailbox. However, that involved adding the address manually as I had not discovered how to create a template with a bcc address in it. The difference now is that our users do not have to worry about the bcc.

Thanks again

Graham

Comment

There's another difference: When you BCC to a different mailbox the item is not duplicated. When you forward to a PF it does get duplicated because it's a different store.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X