Win mobile 5 activesync 4.1 exchange 03

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win mobile 5 activesync 4.1 exchange 03

Our active sync was working fine until someone installed sharepoint services on our exchange server. I uninstalled sharepoint and followed microsofts KB 832769 for resolving the issue with sharepoint.

I installed CA services and generated an SSL certificate. Following the process in the following link
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...-Chapter5.html

Then I used MS KB 817379 (this is what I think your problem might be) It covers exchange activesync when SSL is required for Exchange 2003. I followed Method 2. Created a new Virtual directory; exchange-oma

I followed the process as it described I even purchased Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Unleashed which laid out the same process for installing a new VD. So that when mobile users sync they do not use SSL like the owa clients use. For some reason it seams that mobile client have a problem with SSL's?

My OWA is working great with my SSL redirect. However I can't get my win mobile 5 clients to sync. I've tried everything.

When I attempt to sync I get...

Please correct your Exchange Server password.

Domain\username:
    Domain\domain\myusername

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Ryan

Re: Win mobile 5 activesync 4.1 exchange 03

When attempting to sync I get prompted to correct my password.

I am using domain\user
    password

no ssl on the phone and the vd

If I check the ssl box on my ppc and attempt to sign in it gives an error that my ssl is not valid.

So it seems as though activesync may be hitting a vd with ssl enabled?

Comment

Is OMA working for you? If you disable SSL, does ActiveSync work?
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I've run into exactly the same issues. Apparently, MS has changed the security model for Windows mobile 5 making it virtually impossible to install a certificate from an untrusted site. I've also followed the articles from MS regarding forms based authentication and active sync to no avail.

My solution was to purchase a certificate from Thawte (You can use others such as Verisign, etc). This certificate is already trusted by Win Mobile 5. This way I can use active sync via ssl and keep forms based authentication intact.

The only other way I've managed to get this to work is disable ssl and FBA altogether. That's a little scary. I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars a year to be secure.

Comment

Originally posted by duane
          I've run into exactly the same issues. Apparently, MS has changed the security model for Windows mobile 5 making it virtually impossible to install a certificate from an untrusted site. I've also followed the articles from MS regarding forms based authentication and active sync to no avail.

My solution was to purchase a certificate from Thawte (You can use others such as Verisign, etc). This certificate is already trusted by Win Mobile 5. This way I can use active sync via ssl and keep forms based authentication intact.

The only other way I've managed to get this to work is disable ssl and FBA altogether. That's a little scary. I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars a year to be secure.
          Duane, I am using my own CA, from which I've issued many certificates, one of them is for my OWA/OMA. You d/l the CA Root certificate from your CA, you save it to the storage card on your PPC, then you just double-click on it.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Our owa access is working, I am not able to get in if I disable ssl in owa.

I copied my root cert from my ca server to my device.

I keep getting prompted for my username and password when attempting to sync. I wonder if it's not able to validate my credentials.

Thank you for providing feedback.

Comment

Working...
            X