Exchange server How 2 upgread from ISDN 2 ADSL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange server How 2 upgread from ISDN 2 ADSL

Exchange server! a new world for me !pc's !
    I got 5 new imacs intel clients for a pc server exchange 2003 that Dial in 2 isdn.(pc's got stolen)
    nevertheless , me got things sorted, pop3
    on entourage retrieve mail fine , users docs on the mac desktop all get opened in the right soft, backup files , internet with safari. Now comes de new bummer: ADSL line with a wireless modem fast connection :Kbit/s 5684/662 , reliable server, all way cool but how shall i configure ? what kind of network i shall build?
    shall i get the isdn signal out of the network? shall i get an extra pci card and use them both? shall i do it in small business ? or in the terminal of os tiger with unix?
    in the users roots?
    has any of you more experiences then me ? should not be difficult............ aj am losing it,

Re: Exchange server How 2 upgread from ISDN 2 ADSL

This would probably be more appropriate in the networking forum.

The external connection you have should make no difference to your internal network. All you would be doing is changing the ISDN modem for an ADSL modem or router. IMHO a router is the better of the two choices.

To receive external email you would need to be sure the ADSL router is forwarding port 25 (SMTP) to your exchange box. You would also need to make sure your external DNS MS record (e.g. abc.com) is pointed to your ADSL external IP address.

Hope this helps a bit

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well the only thing you will need to worry about is the MX record change if your external IP address changes. This should be handled by your ISP.

Other than that i can't see why you would want to change your network to implement an ADSL line.

Comment

Cheers very much tom,
        Yap indeed i will need to do the port 25
        so well let me c...emmmmmmmmmmmm....tommorow I 'll check it out and will keep you posted, any way exchange works like a baby with Imac intel and this for it self is good news!
        enjoy your spring wee bit
        I love Scotland!
        meanly Sky

Comment

Cheers very much tom,
          Yap indeed i will need to do the port 25
          so well let me c...emmmmmmmmmmmm....tommorow I 'll check it out and will keep you posted, any way exchange works like a baby with Imac intel and this for it self is good news!
          So ,Me hope spring will show on your desk soon

Comment

Well the only thing you will need to worry about is the MX record change if your external IP address changes. This should be handled by your ISP.

Hi , Thanks for replay , me know nothing about MX record changes but i' ll go and find out about it.

Other than that i can't see why you would want to change your network to implement an ADSL line.

I don't really but some other more important people do, isn't it faster?

excuse moi 4 double posting up their everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by honduras

Hi , Thanks for replay , me know nothing about MX record changes but i' ll go and find out about it.

I don't really but some other more important people do, isn't it faster?

excuse moi 4 double posting up their everyone.
              Your MX record is the record that points to your Mail eXchanger. Whenever a mail server wants to talk to your mail server it will ask for the MX record for your server. DNS will know this ad supply the correct record. Normally you would supply your new ISPwith the details and they should set it up in there DNS which will propogate throughout the internets DNS Servers.

Your connection to the INTERNET will be faster. The INTERNAL network will NOT speed up due to this.

Comment

Working...
              X