Exchange Ports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Ports

I have a VPN client on a dsl line that can't connect to the exchange server. Others with the same setup have no problem. The dsl provider (a large unnamed phone company) is notorious for blocking ports and not telling anyone. What ports does exchange (2003) use to connect? I need to fight with the provider.

Re: Exchange Ports

For sending and receiving email, pop 110 (pop ssl 995) smtp port 25.

Comment

Originally posted by tmlt
      For sending and receiving email, pop 110 (pop ssl 995) smtp port 25.
      SMTP port 25 is supposedly open.
      I can't get Outlook email account setup to "find" the server. I'm thinking there's an authentication problem.
      I can see shared folders on the same server just fine.

Comment

I have this problem too sometimes, with clients.

Is there a particular reason the user can't use OWA? Over a VPN I find it really is the easiest solution, and as you're using Exchange 2003 it is a creditable alternative to the full Outlook product.

Only other solution I can think of is RPC over HTTP!

Hope this helps

Dean

Comment

Test smtp connection to exchange: http://www.petri.com/smtp_pop3_and_telnet.htm

what happens when you try resolve the user mailbox to the exchange server? An lmhost entry might be required if using VPN connection. How does the user logon? is it a 2000 or XP client?

Comment

Hello,
            Let me repeat your issue.
            One of you client is not able to connect to your Exchange server from Internet using a vpn connection. Your exchange server is behind a firewall. At least it should be.
            Since there is a vpn connection, it is men that a tunnel exist between the client and the vpn server. The ISP doesn't have any implication.
            Is your client able to ping the exchange server private IP after the vpn connection is up?
            Is your client able to ping the exchange server internal FQDN? My filling is that he couldn't and there is a name resolution problem.
            If this computer is not member of your AD domain, add a registration in the host file.
            Regards,
            Csaba
            Regards,
            Csaba Papp
            MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
            Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by netxt
              Hello,
              Let me repeat your issue.
              One of you client is not able to connect to your Exchange server from Internet using a vpn connection. Your exchange server is behind a firewall. At least it should be.
              Since there is a vpn connection, it is men that a tunnel exist between the client and the vpn server. The ISP doesn't have any implication.
              Is your client able to ping the exchange server private IP after the vpn connection is up?
              Is your client able to ping the exchange server internal FQDN? My filling is that he couldn't and there is a name resolution problem.
              If this computer is not member of your AD domain, add a registration in the host file.
              Regards,
              Csaba
              Tunnel is established.
              client can ping internal IP of server
              client can ping FQDN of server
              server is in the lmhost file

I am able to use PCAnywhere to get to client machine, so I am able to test myself, eliminating any questions about interpreting instructions or results.

I am able to Telnet into the Exchange server! (port 25)

Comment

Working...
              X