Relay Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay Problem

I have been trying to prevent my exchange 2k server from being used as a relay by spammers and still be able to use it to receive emails AND to use it in conjunction with my asp pages (with CDOSYS) to send/receive/relay emails. I have read a lot of articles including a couple by Petri but I still have a couple questions:
    1) One of the articles here said to use the default settings in the Default SMTP Server/Access properties. My question is what are those default settings and will they still allow use of CDOSYS functionality.
    2) If not, what else can I do?

My exchange server is getting hit by 100+ unauthorized spammers per day.

Thanks~

Re: Relay Problem

Hello,
    You should let SMTP servers from the Internet to send emails to your domain or domains (accept incoming emails) but you have to prevent the relay (sending emails using your exchange server as a SMTP smart host).
    The windows 2003 default settings allow relaying only to authenticated users. (relay 1)
    This is a good point if you have POP3, IMAP4 users who send emails using your virtual SMTP server.
    In order to allow asp pages to send emails, add the web serverís IP address to the list of allowed computers. (relay 2)

I hope these will help you.
    Csaba
    Attached Files
    Last edited by netxt; 15th March 2006, 10:56.
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Csaba:
      This is helpful but your images were difficult to see. Please let me know what my settings should be in my Exchange 2000 SMTP Virtual Server/Properties/Access in:
      1) Access Control
      2) Connection Control
      3) Relay Restrictions

Currently my Access control settings are set to allow Anonymous Authentication and Integrated Windows Authentication.

Currently my Connection Control settings are set to "All except the list below" and the list is empty.

Currently my Relay Restrictions settings are set to "Only the list below" and set to my web server so that works fine in terms of allowing my asp pages connect. I also have the checkbox at the bottom of the page ("Allow all computers that successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above.") selected.

Thank you very, very much!

Comment

Hello,

Your setting looks exactly how it should be.
        My only comment is regarding to the checkbox at the bottom of the page ("Allow all computers that successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above."). As I said it is only need for POP3 or IMAP4 clients who curently relay.
        Here is a web based tool. It let you to see if your server is an open relay or not.
        http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

Regards,
        Csaba
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Working...
        X