Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstallation problem of Exchange 2k3

Hello,

I have uninstall an Exchange server 2k3 and try to reinstall it on the same machine (the server for exchange is not DC). i had a first problem when trying to start the Forestprep I received an error saying I have to be Full Exchange Administrator to to this action ( How can I be Exchange administrator when I don't have Exchange installed anymore???). Strange because the user I was using was The same user as for the first installation and I checked the AD and it was still Full Exchange administrator (the Exchange groups were still present). To solve this problem I have seen on a website that I had to use ADSI to delete a "key" of Exchange that was supposed to be present and modify another value. the "Key" was not there and I modify the value as asked but it didn't change anything. So I have decided to delete all remaining Exchange keys.

The problem is that now I don't have the user problem but I have the following error when starting the forestprep:

Setup failed while installing sub-component windows active directory schema update with error code 0xc1037986 (...check install exchange log)

log:

This forest is not ForestPrepped
    [15:43:51] Leaving ScIsForestPrepped
    [15:43:51] Entering ScIsForestPrepped
    [15:43:51] Checking whether the forest is ForestPrepped
    [15:43:51] Looking for the Exchange organization container
    [15:43:51] Exchange organization container not found
    [15:43:51] === IGNORING PREVIOUS ERRORS === ScIsForestPrepped (f:\titanium\admin\src\libs\exsetup\dsmisc.cxx:121 0)
    The operation has completed successfully.
    [15:43:51] This forest is not ForestPrepped
    [15:43:51] Leaving ScIsForestPrepped
    [15:43:54] CComBOIFacesFactory::QueryInterface (f:\titanium\admin\src\udog\bo\bofactory.cxx:54)
    Error code 0X80004002 (16386): No interface.

Can somobdy help me with this?

thank you

Re: Reinstallation problem of Exchange 2k3

I sincerely hope you're not playing games in your production environment...

Also, why run FORESTPREP again? Is there any reason for doing that?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Was this server the only member of your domain??

Do you have a seperate DC?? I sincerely hope so.

If you have a seperate DC available to you then you will not need to run forestprep again as it has already been run for your forest.

What was the reason for uninstalling Exchange in the first place??

Comment

no worries it is a lab domain to test it. I have solved the problem. The thing was that I had to reboot the exchange server and the DC to have the uninstallation being completed corretly.

I am trying a downgrade from the enterprise edtion to the standard. I try several ways to make it as simple as possible.

I let you know the results if you are interested

Comment

Originally posted by cdechamps
          no worries it is a lab domain to test it. I have solved the problem. The thing was that I had to reboot the exchange server and the DC to have the uninstallation being completed corretly.

I am trying a downgrade from the enterprise edtion to the standard. I try several ways to make it as simple as possible.

I let you know the results if you are interested
          I'm sure many people would be interested in this so post your results m8.

Comment

My first try was not very successful...but not completelly useless.

What I did so far (it takes a hell of a time to mke the tests because every time I have to reinstall the Enterprise edition and start from the beginning...):

- I have used Backup exec to make a backup of the information store

- uninstall exchange 2k3 enterprise and reboot the DC and the exchange server.

- install exchange 2k3 std

- recreate the user's mailboxe (needed for backup exec but i will try without that step to see what happens).

- restore information Store on the STD edition.

The restore was successful. n the system Manager of the exchange I could see the mailboxe of my user BUT another mailboxe with the same name was associated to my user so when I have opened outlook my mailboxe was the new (and empty one).

I have deleted that new mailboxe and kept only the one I have restored but in that case my outlook cannot contact the exchange server...

This morning I have noticed in the system manager that the mailboxe was disconnected so I reconnected but I get that message when opening outlook:
            Exchange is currently in recovery mode.

If somebody has an idea...
            Last edited by cdechamps; 17th March 2006, 08:35.

Comment

GOT IT ALMOST !!

I have just told you that outlokk was saying that exchange was in recovery mode. BUT it is proposing me to connect or work offline. I have try to connect and guess what...the mails where there !!! the one from my backup! The only problem I have now is that message that seems to appear everytime I open outlook. If I can solved that problem it might work...

Comment

I have found the solution for the recovery mode as well so it is working (I am going to make from the beginning again to be sure everything is ok and that it was not just luck).

For the outlook problem with the message (exchange server currently in recovery mode I just had to recreate the outlook profile.

The problems with this procedure are:
                - how to have the mailboxes being disconnected (I don't know how it happens)
                - having to go on all outlook clients to reconfigure it...

Comment

First, thanks for sharing. Second, it seems like you went through a whole deal of trouble just to reinstall Exchange.

I reinstalled Exchange more times than I care to remember, yet there was no issue in connecting mailboxes if you follow the right steps. In your case, the recovery issue with OL was probably because you've used Cached Mode.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I know but that's because i have never done it before so I had to look sometimes quiet a lot to do easy things.

I would like to ask you one more question. I could restore the mailboxes from my Exchange enterprise into the fresh installation of the Exchange std but what about the public folders and more important what about the exchange configuration (connectors,permissions,....). I have made a Information Store backup does it cover the configuration as well ? I haven't test it yet but just in case someone know the answer.

Thank you

Comment

Hi there,

It might be too late, or you might still be in your lab with this, but you should be able to downgrade OVER the existing Enterprise edition of Exchange. Your steps could be:
                      1. Backup your Exchange Server
                      2. Insert your Exchange Standard Edition CD
                      3. Run setup.
                      You'll have the opportunity to downgrade. Doing it this way means you won't have to worry about restoring mailboxes, or reconfiguring.

You may have taken the path you took because of a worry about upgrading in place. I've done this a few times and it's been flawless. But if you are worried and you have another server, you could always move the mailboxes there before you execute the downgrade.

Robbyb

To your last question:
                      Public Folders are replicated from server to server. You need to look into this some, but essentially, you'll be adding your new server to the replication tab for each public folder you have. If you've got loads of PFs then you might need to look at a tool called PFDAV that will help make things easier.

As you install your new server into your Admin Group, it will pick up on most all the configs you need to get going, including using any existing connectors etc. There'll be other configs to make, of course, and you may need to manually make those. The IS backup only stores the databases, no configs I'm afraid.

Comment

Robyb,

Thanks for sharing a possible answer, but look at the original date of this thread. Do you think he's still looking for the answer?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ah. 2006!

Oh well, maybe it'll serve as useful for someone else.

Comment

Working...
                          X