Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front/Back SMTP

i have a simple question...

if i want to have a front end relay external SMTP to the back end, do i have to create an SMTP connector or is it already configured to pass SMTP traffic to the back end?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: Front/Back SMTP

This has nothing to do with Front End or Back End servers, you know.

If you want your Exchange server to send all outgoing mail through a different server, you have 2 options:

1) Not recommended - Put a Smart Host in the SMTP Vierual Server.

2) Better - Create an SMTP Connector, and configure it to use the * address space, and to send mail via a Smart Host.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i think im with ya.. i just want to make sure. all im trying to do is make sure SMTP traffic from the net is sent from my front end OWA server to my back end where the mail stores are...

i dont have a smarthost... i wasnt thinking i needed one. unless a front end is considered a smart host.

so are you saying that i cant move mail from the front end to the back end and vice a versa without a smart host? i was under the impression that all i needed was a front end server, a backend server, and an external IP address.

configure it to use the * address space
      and this is done how? properties on the connector? which blank?

thanks for the patience.... im not the quickest packet on the backplane.

Comment

No no no no!

You got it all messed up.

You need to do some reading, get your gig together and come back to me with some information about what you have, and what you want to do.

As I said, FE and BE have nothing to do with SMTP traffic. It's not that you CANNOT move mail from one to the other, it's just that they're not made for that.

So please, do some RTFM, and do come back to us with info about what exactly you want to do.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

ok.. i hope this is a little better. i swear i have read and i even took the 2400B course and most of it make sense. i do have a degree in comp engineering and certs in network and a+

i do well with AD and GPOs, but this exchange is little abstract. if it wernt for the Ad training ive had, id be really lost.

thank you for your patience...

Exchange Outline

Servers
          2 back-end servers, Win 2003 Ex 2003 native
          dell poweredge 1855s w/4 gigs, dual 3.6 h/t xeon
          /3gb /u switches enabled
          2 front-end servers, Win 2003 Ex 2003
          IBM rack mount servers w/2 gigs, dual 3.2 h/t xeon
          SANs array containing mail stores, accessible by both back-end servers
          A Fortigate 500A is between the front-end and back-end servers.

The domain name here is *****clerk.com. The FQDN of the back-end is clerkexchange1.*****clerk.com the front-end FQDN is zeta.*****clerk.com.

The front end will reside in the DMZ ;(…

The back-end servers are situated with in the firewall.

there is only a small amount of users... 600 is the esimated maximum for this building. we currently have ~450 mailbox enabled users.

There are four sites that need mail. The Clerk’s office is the largest with 75% of the users. The users at the Clerk’s office will connect directly to the back-end servers. The next location is Traffic which contains about 75 mailbox enabled users. They will connect with the Exchange BE via the T1 between here and there. There is a GC at the Traffic location. The remaining two locations have a negligible amount of users and can have email administered via OWA (w/SSL) from the front end.

The front-end server is also a web server. It houses the public web for the Clerk of Courts. These pages are not encrypted and are viewed over a non-secure channel. The front end also contains the OWA pages that must be available only with an SSL connection.

I am having some difficulties with the set-up after “being guided” through this…

My current status is:

Exchange has been installed on clerkexchange1 and Zeta. The front-end switch was enabled on Zeta. All unnecessary services were turned off (SMTP was enabled). Security Groups were created to ease creation of GAL groups. The default policy was changed to %g_%[email protected]*****clerk.com to provide the [email protected] format for email addys.
          I can connect to Outlook via http://clerkexchange1/exchange. I can also use outlook to connect directly to the EX back-end and receive internal test messages.

Now the questions…
          1. Do I need to configure an SMTP connector to have the external messages received by the front-end routed to the back end, or is exchange set up to do this by default in a back-end/front-end topology? i think my termenology is flawwed, sorry. I think I could test this theory by telneting to the front end and sending a message CLI, then checking the mailboxes on the back, yes?
          2. Since my front-end is also hosting a public web page, how should I assign the certificate? Should I just apply it to the RPC folder properties or should put it on the Default Web Site properties? I just don’t want the cert to force all the public users to try to connect w/SSL
          3. On the topic of SSL… the SSL cert is assigned to the front-end? If I am correct, there is no need for SSL on the back-end because you secure that traffic with IPSEC, right? The front-end takes care of SSL…

This last question will require a small bit of setup first… the network consultant insisted that I rename my BE because the name isn’t NetBIOS compliant. I had to inform him that you don’t change the name on an exchange install. He wanted me to uninstall the back end and rename the server. I resisted, but then tried… with some “advice” by the consultant.

Being that the front end was already a “front-end” and had no mail stores or public folders, to uninstall the master the existing mail stores had to be moved.. so he had me create one on the front-end and set it as master, move the public folders up, and then try to uninstall… long story short I said “no” to changing the name and put everything back like it was before… now I have public folders located on the front-end that I cannot remove. The KB resources I have read say the front end shouldn’t contain any public folders… now I can’t remove them. It says to move the replicas, and then delete. I click the “move replicas” and then try to delete... no go.

The only other option that I have found would be to use ADSI edit to remove the public folders. I’m a little sketchy about using ADSI unless it’s a last resort.

What should I do with these public folders? What if I leave them there? Will they mess anything up? Do I even need public folders? I think the only thing I will need the public folders for is the scheduling and offline address lists… what is your recommendation?
          Last edited by James Haynes; 13th March 2006, 14:36.

Comment

i tested my little telnet theroy, and i get a message in my mailbox if i telnet into zeta and send a message. i tried several messages with multiple domains and all the messages go thru... so i guess that answers that question.

Comment

Working...
            X