Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offline Exchange 2003 Recovery possible??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline Exchange 2003 Recovery possible??

Ive just inherited a site in trouble. SBS2003 with Exchange 2003.

The OS was corrupted beyond repair.

All I have is a copy of the old MDBDATA folder.

I have rebuilt the server with same hostname, IP and domain name, but alas if I replace the above MDBDATA folder I cant mount the store.

Does anyone know how I can mount the backup or extract the emails from the offline mdbdata folder containing priv1.edb and priv1.stm + the log files etc.

I wondered if Exmerge can be tweaked to work somehow offline??
    Any help muchly appreciated..
    Cheers
    String

Re: Offline Exchange 2003 Recovery possible??

You could check out Power Controls by OnTrack (www.ontrack.com) for an excellent Exchange Recovery tool. Not cheap but worth its weight in any precious substance you could mention.

It is possible to mount an old Exchange database on a rebuilt server but it requires all settings to exactly match the original.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Offline Exchange 2003 Recovery possible??

If everything is the same with regards to exchange then you should be able to mount the database. From memory this will require you to have the same Admin Group names.

I think that you'll need to stop the exchange services and check the checkbox labelled "This database can be overwritten by a restore". This is within the properties of the mailbox store.

Restore your database then restart the exchange services.

Hopefully this will help.

Comment

Working...
      X