X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Query-Based Distribution Groups in GAL

I'm totally lost here.....
    I've just started to use Query-Based Distribution Groups,
    and NONE of them shows up in the Default Global Address List.
    Anyone know why or/and have a solution?
    My guess is that I have to delete it and make a new... but I have never had
    to make any changes to the GAL so I want to be extra careful with this.
    Please HELP =)

Re: No Query-Based Distribution Groups in GAL

Did you use the instructions bellow to setup the DL?

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...on_Groups.html

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822897
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thanx.
      The Query-Based Distribution Groups was working just fine, the only problem I had was that they didn't show up in the default GAL. When I created a new address list I could choose to show the Query-based list in that one.
      The links you gave me below confirmed my thoughts; the default GAL contains only Users and Groups. Stupid thing that the Query-Based lists aint in the Default GAL..... Why not?
      Any how, the solution is to edit the Default GAL with ADSI Edit to inclued it.
      http://www.exchangeis.com/blogs/exch.../08/09/48.aspx
      Thanx for your links, they gave me something to work on.
      // Sebastian

Comment

The final solution and why this occured:

In a upgraded environment from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 where there has been both EX2000 AND EX2003 servers simultaneously, the Default GAL does not contain "(objectCategory=msExchDynamicDistributionList )" in the LDAP query. BUT in a new Exchange 2003 organisation the above attribute exist in the Default GAL.
        I have checked this in my test AD/EX org (which is and freshinstalled 2003 environment.)
        The solution:
        Add the above query to the "purportedSearch" attribute with ADSIEdit in the properties for the "Default Global Address List.
        (Configuration\Services\Microsoft Exchange\[Organisation Name]\Address List Container\Default Global Address List.)

I was a bit surprised that the Exchange 2003 setup didn't change this.
        Or perhaps Microsoft didn't want to risk to destroy anthing that the customer have customized themselfs.

Thanx for ur help and I hope this solution and thought are correct and will be to help for anyone that have the same issues as I had.

Regards, Sebastian

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Zeb,
            Thanks for posting your solution.

I have a question: you said the problem seems to occur when you migrate from exchg2000 to exchg2003, but not with a fresh 2003 install.

I recently did a fresh install and I am having the same problem with the query-based distribution list. could this be because I originally installed as mixed-mode then moved to native?

I am going to do a little more research before I try the solution you posted

-bk

edit:
            i checked the Default GAL and it does contain "(objectCategory=msExchDynamicDistributionList )" in the LDAP query.

but my query-based distribution list does not show up in the GAL. interesting.
            sorry to hijack the thread, but since it is related....
            Last edited by badkarma; 16th May 2006, 17:10.

Comment

Silly question but could these Q Groups be hidden from the GAL?
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
                Silly question but could these Q Groups be hidden from the GAL?
                no, they were not hidden, but the list only appeared in the GAL for users that were a part of a Q list. I'm sure it is something I configured incorrectly, but now that i have created all my q-lists, everything works as intended. I still have a lot to learn!

and thanks for asking about being hidden - helps me with another thing i wanted to do.

bk

Comment

Working...
                X