Importing contacts data into Global / shared Address book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing contacts data into Global / shared Address book

I've just set up Exchange SBS 2003 and am trying to set up a companywide shared contacts folder.

I would like to have all common company contacts stored in one folder that everyone can access. Users should be able to add new contacts that will be available to everyone, and also edit the contacts in there.
    I'd like it to be the default address book so people don't have to rummage through several screens to get the info, they can just type the contact's name in the 'to' box in a new message as normal, and outlook will look up the recipient.

How do I go about doing this?

Also I have all the initial data to go into this company address book in a CSV file. How can I set up a system that can import this into Exchange / Outlook? I'll need to re-do the import once a week or so to keep the data fresh, not ideal but it's better than us having to load excel every time we want to find someone's details!

Re: Importing contacts data into Global / shared Address book

I would look at creating a public folder with shared contacts and import all your contacts from your csv to there. You would need to configure each users outlook profiles to use this as default address book which i think is straight forward enough and can be set in outlooks address book options or in the address book configuration when setting up a users outlook mail profile.

Comment

Cool, I'm just having a pop at that now.

Is there a way of setting the default address book location for all users at once, in a policy or something?

Also best way of importing the CSV - just from my workstation's outlook into that public folder? Any ideas if the process could be automated or done with a script?

Comment

Not to sure about setting a policy to force the address book for users, someone else might have an idea if this could be done through a policy. To import your csv, i would create a new contacts folder in your own workstation and then do the file import from file option in outlook and import them to your new contacts folder. Then all you need to do then is right click and drag to the public folder shared contacts and copy. Of course you will need to make sure the public folder is created and you have the permission to edit the shared contacts public folder.

Comment

Hi tmlt thanks for your help.

I did as you said and set up an address book on my PC in Outlook, imported the data from Excel and copied it to the public folder address book. Set the permissions up and then did the round of the PCs to point each machine at the new address book folder.

I set it to be the default address book in outlook and it all seems to be good.

Meza

Comment

Hi Meza
            I read your posts on importing addresses into a global/shared address book. I want to do exactly the same thing but I am having trouble.

You said you "...copied it to the public folder address book. Set the permissions up and then did the round of the PCs to point each machine at the new address book folder.".

How do you point a machine at the new address book? I am able to point it at Public Folders but at nothing under Public Folders. The contacts in the public folders do not come up when I create a message and hit the "To" button.

Thanks so much for your help!
            Regards,
            Cliff Hall

Comment

Cliff, this thread is almost one year old. I hope he'll be around to answer your question...
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Cliff,

On a workstation, go to the public folders list. right mouse button click on the contacts folder (or whatever its called) and goto properties.

click on the 'Outlook Address Book' tab and then choose 'Show this folder as an email address book'

You will need to do this on each workstation.

Cheers,
                Matt

* Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate *

Comment

Hi Matt
                  Thank you very much for that. I appreciate your time. I found a good basic Microsoft online course on the Outlook address book here too.
                  http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC011894951033
                  Thanks again.
                  Regards,
                  Cliff Hall

Comment

Working...
                  X