Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forward mail to same domain name

Here’s my problem:
    We’ve been aquired by a US company. We use Exchange2003 and they use some other mail (POP3). In order to use same mail domain @DOMAIN.NET I added recipient policy to the users and set it to be their default address, although we are not the MX or this domain. A public mail sent to [email protected] is being forwarded by the other system (the official MX) to [email protected].

All of the above works fine
    BUT
    When my local user sends mail to [email protected] (an existing recipient in US) I get NDR (I know why)
    I need a solution for that situation.
    I’ve tried creating a routing group and SMTP virtual server to forward the mail to their mail server but the NDR is generated before it reaches the Virtual Server.

Any suggestions will be blesses!

Thanks!
    Lior

Re: Forward mail to same domain name

I thikng that you try to relay mail to the other server so he drop you.
    You can setup the target server to allow relay from your server:

http://www.petri.com/preventing_exch...m_relaying.htm

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Originally posted by liorz66
      Here’s my problem:
      We’ve been aquired by a US company. We use Exchange2003 and they use some other mail (POP3). In order to use same mail domain @DOMAIN.NET I added recipient policy to the users and set it to be their default address, although we are not the MX or this domain. A public mail sent to [email protected] is being forwarded by the other system (the official MX) to [email protected].

All of the above works fine
      BUT
      When my local user sends mail to [email protected] (an existing recipient in US) I get NDR (I know why)
      I need a solution for that situation.
      I’ve tried creating a routing group and SMTP virtual server to forward the mail to their mail server but the NDR is generated before it reaches the Virtual Server.

Any suggestions will be blesses!

Thanks!
      Lior

This is not a good way to run Exchange. Trust me.

However, to temporarily solve your issue, use "Forward mail with unresolved recipients to" option in the SMTP Virtual Server of your Exchange server, and point it to the US server.

Take causion, because this setting might cause messages to loop from one server to the other.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

thanks Daniel
        i know it's a bad solution and i'm trying to convice them to move to exchange.
        As for your suggestion - basically it's a good idea but the Exchange server will forward all the SPAM as well, wouldn't it? and if it destened to other domains (the Exchange hosts 3 other domain) then they will bounce endlesly

Yuval
        they don't use Exchange and the message doesn't get there so it is not rejected by it but by the local Exchange.

anything else? subdomain in the remote side maybe?

thanks

Comment

I would try to convince them to keep the CO.IL domain name till you sort out your problem, otherwise I don't see how you can do that unless you use the advice I gave you (and use a good anti-spam tool to filter out the junk before sending it on).
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X