Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2000 DC Dependant

Hi,

On two Exchange Servers (in seperate domains & forests) our team manage and administrate they are both dependant on one DC in their respective domain & forest.

If this particular DC is off, the exchange system stops. There are other DC's running in each domain but they dont seem to be able to support the exchange server.

Both sites are running in Native mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what services exchange is using on this DC ?

Thanks

Andrew

Check to see what are the settings in the Directory Access tab in the server's properties. Maybe the "Auto discover servers" is not selected. Also, you must have more than one GC in each domain in case that the original GC dies.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for that.

I have now setup an additional Global Catalog server. I notice there is only one Configuration Domain Controller listed.

Can I setup a second Config DC as well ?

Thanks

Andrew

Comment

Yes you can, but you can also let it choose automatically.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

All I am thinking is I now have a choice for two GC Servers, and two DC's, but there is only one config server.

I havent tested this, but surely if I turn the config server off, or it goes down for maintenance, the exchange server will also stop working ?

So, if I can setup a second config server, exchange can still select the servers it wants to use automatically, but it has a choice of two and not just one.

Or is my theory wrong ?

Thanks

Andrew

Comment

Working...
          X