IMF not putting mail in Junk folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMF not putting mail in Junk folders

I have W2K3 server (latest patches) and Exchange 2003 with SP2. I have turned on the IMF functionality by checking the appropriate box under the advance settings on the default SMTP virtual server. I set the gateway blocking configuration SCL to 7 and the Junk E-mail SCL configuration to 5. If I look in the UCEArchive directory, I see that there are a bunch of emails that get filtered out, so I know that the IMF is working, but I have emails arriving in my inbox with a SCL of 5 or 6 that should be redirected to my Junk E-Mail folder. I have the same thing happening for every other user. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or knows of a reason why these Junk E-Mails are not being redirected as they should?

Thanks for the help!
    M1ke

Re: IMF not putting mail in Junk folders

Are you using Cached Mode in Outlook?

Also, how to you know the SCL level of these mail items?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
      Are you using Cached Mode in Outlook?

Also, how to you know the SCL level of these mail items?
      Yes, I am using Cached mode (and so is everyone here as most of us use laptops). I am able to see the SCL level by exposing it using the technique described here:

http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/ar...26/142607.aspx

When I look under the SCL level header, I see the level as 6 and it still sits in my inbox, not my Junk Email folder. It's kind of a pain becasue a bunch of us use Blackberries and I am forwarding everything that hits the exchange inbox to the Blackberry devices, so I really want to limit the amount of spam that gets sent to these devices.

We are a smaller startup company (20 people) and so we only have a single exchange server (no front end / back end scenario). Not sure if that might have any impact. I don't see how it would, but thought I would mention it.

Comment

Hello,

Your wrote "...but I have emails arriving in my inbox with a SCL of 5 or 6 that should be redirected to my Junk E-Mail folder"
        Based on Microsoft Exchange Intelligent Message Filter Deployment Guide,
        ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
        if an email scl is higher than the store scl but lower than the gateway limit the clients Outlook 2003 / OWA white list is checked. If the sender is in the list the message is delivered to the user Inbox. So, the emails are passed to the exchange server mailbox store and IMF finished its job.

Maybe the problem is at Outlook level.

Regards,
        Csaba
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by netxt
          Hello,

Your wrote "...but I have emails arriving in my inbox with a SCL of 5 or 6 that should be redirected to my Junk E-Mail folder"
          Based on Microsoft Exchange Intelligent Message Filter Deployment Guide,
          ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
          if an email scl is higher than the store scl but lower than the gateway limit the clients Outlook 2003 / OWA white list is checked. If the sender is in the list the message is delivered to the user Inbox. So, the emails are passed to the exchange server mailbox store and IMF finished its job.

Maybe the problem is at Outlook level.

Regards,
          Csaba
          Csaba,

Thanks for the response, but the way I read it, it should follow this path (as stated dircetly from the deployment guide, although I have removed a little bit for easier reading):

7. If a user is using Outlook 2003 or Outlook Web Access with Exchange 2003, the user's mailbox store compares the message's SCL rating with the store threshold you configured, and one of two things happens:

If the message rating is higher than the store threshold, the mailbox store checks the user's safe senders list configured in Outlook or Outlook Web Access, and one of two things happens:

- If the sender appears on the safe senders list, the message is delivered to the recipients Inbox.
          - If the sender does not appear on the safe senders list or if a safe senders list is not available or defined, the message is delivered to the recipient's Junk E-mail folder.

So, if it gets past the gateway rule, it should look at the user defined (Outlook or OWA) settings and if there are no exception rules defined in Outlook or OWA, and the SCL level is greater than or equal to the server side "stored threshold" value, then it should be moved to the junk email folder - at least that's the way I read this - am I wrong in my thought process?

Thanks,
          M1ke

Comment

M1ke,
            I explained the exactly same thing (at least I tried to )
            I tested IMF on my testing environment. (Server: Windows 2003 sp1 with Exchange 2003 sp2; Client: windows xp sp2, Outlook 2003). Everything worked as I expected. Without a white list entry, emails with SCL higher than the storage scl limit but under the gateway limit were delivered into the Junk E-mails folder. If I added the sender to the outlook white list, the same email went to the Inbox.

Just some questions:
            1. Did you use imf before the exchange upgrade to sp2?
            2. What about the outlook versions? Are they 2003?
            3. Is there any entry in the usersís white list?

Regards,
            Csaba
            Regards,
            Csaba Papp
            MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
            Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am experiencing the same exact issue and haven't been able to find a resolution. Gateway is set to archive at >6 and deliver to Junk E-mail folder at >4. All messages >6 are correctly archived, however, messages with SCL of 5 or 6 are delivered directly to the user's inbox, not to the Junk E-mail folder. I have also tested much lower SCLs (>2) for the Junk E-mail folder, but this hasn't made a difference. I too amd using Outlook 2003 (latest patches) in Cached mode.

Thanks.

Josh
              Last edited by joshlamerritt; 15th February 2007, 15:20.

Comment

Working...
              X