No announcement yet.

Allow users to edit all fields in GAL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow users to edit all fields in GAL?

I would like to allow users to be able to edit/update their own contact information in the GAL.

I dabbled a little bit with galmod32 but I think that I would rather have users use the "windows address book".

If I log in as myself (domain admin account) all fields are editable, but if I log in as a regular domain user and try to update the users info using windows address book>>"find people">>look in: "Active directory">>find user >>"properties", some fields are greyed out such as "job title" and "department".

Does anyone know how can I make it so that these fields can be edited as well?

environ: Exchange 2000 sp3, windows 2000 server sp4, windows 2000 and xp pro.

Thanks

Re: Allow users to edit all fields in GAL?

Galmod was created just for that. However, if you really have to, you can delegate control for users on OUs in the AD. Not safe, not a best practice, but if you must you can do it.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hello,
      The delegation way is also suggested by Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272198
      (See from To let users update attributes on their own accounts against the server that is running Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server or Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, follow these steps).

Regards,
      CSaba
      Regards,
      Csaba Papp
      MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

thanks!

Perhaps I should take another look at galmod.

Maybe I can place a shortcut to it on all users desktop and give it a pretty name.

Comment

Hi Daniel and everyone:
          I decided to jump in here and comment on this post even though it is kind of old now. My company (though mostly consulting and services) has a web-based alternative to GALMOD.

It allows users to connect to a web page and modify their own attributes in the Global Address List / Active Directory. The administrator sets which attributes can be edited or that are visible on the user information form. No one really knows about it because we have not really marketed it except for consulting projects until recently. Anyway, it is called Directory Update - if anyone is interested. I hope this is not a violation of the terms of service for the forum for me to post this here.

GALMOD is kind of a pain in the neck and not flexible at all. Microsoft has a web-based version of GALMOD that suffers from many of the same limitations as the Windows version, but at least it is easier to deploy. And it is free. See KB 242223 - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242223.

There are some other alternatives. A company called Namescape makes a tool called rDirectory. They have a free version of it. There web interface allows for seaching the AD and it interfaces with other LDAP directories besides Active Directory. Imanami is the big dog of web-based AD management; they have a user provision system called WebDir which is very cool and powerful. There are a couple of other tools out at http://www.slipstick.com, but I have not worked with any of these.

Daniel, I hope things are calming down for you.

Thanks,
          Jim McBee, MVP
          Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com
          Last edited by jmcbee; 22nd August 2006, 20:06.

Comment

Thanks Jim for letting us know. However It's worth noting that the tool you're offering does cost money. Is there a chance that our users will get a reduced cost version of it or some sort of a "light edition"?
            Last edited by danielp; 22nd August 2006, 11:00.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
            X