Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatically connect new users to their Exchange mailbox?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatically connect new users to their Exchange mailbox?

I have noticed that on some workstations in my organization, when a new user logs on, they do not have to enter their exchange server name/user name for outlook to connect to their mailbox. However on the majority of workstations they do. This of course creates help desk calls.

Is there a simple way to make it so that all workstations can connect automatically to the users exchange 2000 mailbox?

Is this configured in exchange or is it done on the workstation level in outlook 2002?

We do not use roaming profiles in active directory and there are multiple exchange servers in the organization. Workstations are a mix of 2000 pro and Xp pro.

Thanks

Re: Automatically connect new users to their Exchange mailbox?

I am not aware of the fact that Outlook automatically creates profiles for ANY user. What you describe is probably due to a script or something that does work for some users, but doesn't for others. Also, it's possible that Outlook was installed in an administrative mode with an MST file that configured it to create profiles for users. But again, this is not a normal behavior.

That's why I suggest you investigate how and why things work they way they do over there, and then come back to use with the info.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

If im right then you might want to look here:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...ht=richprofile
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks!

I downloaded the office xp resource kit, and ran the custom installation wizard to create mst file.

There is a portion of the mst file creation where you can specify exchange profile settings. Putting in %username% and any valid exchange server name did the trick.

We used to employ and outside IT firm before i came onboard and it is likely they used this method to install office xp at some sites.

Comment

As I suspected. So, you say that sometimes it won't create their profiles?
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

no, if the workstation was installed with mst it always connects new users to their mbx.

The problem is that we stopped using this IT firm for pc imaging about 3 to 4 years ago. many pcs have been either reinstalled or replaced since then w/o mst of course.

This would explain why most workstations cant connect new users to their mbx.

from here on out we will use mst.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

If I could revisit this topic of connecting users to their exchange mbx automatically, the question would be how to convert the non autoconnecting outlook installs with minimal effort (without having to reinstall office xp with mst)

Could active directory policies "folder redirect" apps>> be used for this?

Comment

Nope, but you can read the Office Reskit documentation on how to import profiles onto client computers.

Also, you might look into a tool called RICHPROFILE. Program can be freely d/l from my site:

www.petri.com/class.htm
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Does richprofilel work for Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2003?

My users currently have POP accounts (PST files) setup using [email protected]. I am migrating to an Exchange server (from pop accounts) so I don't want to delete the old settings or data files on the user account. Users will have the same mail account names we are just going to host our own email now. (pop --> exchange) Was hopeing this utility would create just the exchange side of it and leave the POP alone.

Any advice would be helpful. If this works it will save my serveral days if not a weeks worth of work.

Thanks!
                  Last edited by mtbcyclist; 17th February 2006, 16:48.

Comment

I dont know if this will help but we use the below registery key to log on new users.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Runonce]
                    "winxp"="c:\\windows\\kaz-xp.prf"

kazia

Comment

Originally posted by mtbcyclist
                      Does richprofilel work for Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2003?

My users currently have POP accounts (PST files) setup using [email protected]. I am migrating to an Exchange server (from pop accounts) so I don't want to delete the old settings or data files on the user account. Users will have the same mail account names we are just going to host our own email now. (pop --> exchange) Was hopeing this utility would create just the exchange side of it and leave the POP alone.

Any advice would be helpful. If this works it will save my serveral days if not a weeks worth of work.

Thanks!
                      Yes it does work withoutlook 2003 and exchange 2003. We use both of those on our site. (Dunno what the guy above is talking about!!!)
                      Server 2000 MCP
                      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X