Exchange smtp relay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange smtp relay

Hi, i have a problem with receiving mail in my domain if somebody sends us an email from outside my domain they receive the following message:
    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    <[email protected]>
    (reason: 550 5.7.1 <[email protected]>... Relaying denied. Proper
    authentication required.)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
    ... while talking to mail.xxxxxxxxxxx.nl.:
    >>> DATA
    <<< 550 5.7.1 <[email protected]>... Relaying denied. Proper authentication
    required.
    550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown
    <<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

i`ve installed a smtp relay server a few weeks ago to get the load of my exchange server and to increase some security installing gfi mail essentials, it all worked fine till yesterday we can send and receive email within the domain we can send out email outside the domain but not receive from outside the domain. what is going on here? a few spec : all servers working with 2003 server and exchange 2003.
    is it possible that we are blacklisted by our ISP? or is it an internal error ?
    thanks in advance

rgds Marco
    Last edited by mhoogev; 8th February 2006, 18:41.

Re: Exchange smtp relay

I'm fairly new to SMTP/Exchange myself, and by no means an expert, but is it possible you have disabled "anonymous access" on your SMTP Virtual server? As I recall, you must allow anonymous inbound connections on your SMTP server or no other SMTP server on the Internet will be able to send a message to a mailbox on your domain (after all, the millions of sending servers won't have valid login credentials to your SMTP server).

You can (and should) still require authentication to relay (pass a message from or through your SMTP server to an outside domain) while leaving anonymous enabled as an option for inbound messages destined for your domain.

Comment

Good suggestion, but i`ve already checked this, anonymous access is enabled

Originally posted by DNeuwir
      I'm fairly new to SMTP/Exchange myself, and by no means an expert, but is it possible you have disabled "anonymous access" on your SMTP Virtual server? As I recall, you must allow anonymous inbound connections on your SMTP server or no other SMTP server on the Internet will be able to send a message to a mailbox on your domain (after all, the millions of sending servers won't have valid login credentials to your SMTP server).

You can (and should) still require authentication to relay (pass a message from or through your SMTP server to an outside domain) while leaving anonymous enabled as an option for inbound messages destined for your domain.

Comment

Hello,
        Open IIS Manager (Internet Information Services) on your SMTP relay server.
        Go to the Domains and Properties of your domain.
        Make sure that "Allow incoming emails to be relayed to this domain" is selected.
        Regards,
        Csaba
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

thanks for the suggestion, but this was already selected and the outbound security on the same tab is set to anonymous. also the smarthost is beeing entered correct , i`m getting pretty desperate here

Originally posted by netxt
          Hello,
          Open IIS Manager (Internet Information Services) on your SMTP relay server.
          Go to the Domains and Properties of your domain.
          Make sure that "Allow incoming emails to be relayed to this domain" is selected.
          Regards,
          Csaba

Comment

Just a small update, i`ve disconnected my mail en smtp server from the net work , and the problem persist so this means to me that the problem is out side my network and domain does anybody has a good suggestion? i also contacted my ISP they say i`m not blacklisted i think that they are wrong.

Comment

Have you checked out this document??

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895853&SD=tech

or even

GOOGLE

Comment

thanks for the input just to be on the safe side i did everything what was in the document and as far i can see it i have made the correct configurations. And as i mentioned before i disconnecteted my smtp and exchangeserver from the outside world and still the problem persists when we sended a test message. you can send one yourself if you want to see. send it to: blahblah @ themasteronline . nl so i `m more and more convinced that the problem is at my ISP

Originally posted by wullieb1
                Have you checked out this document??

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895853&SD=tech

or even

GOOGLE

Comment

just a little update,
                  My ISP Helpdesk contacted me dat they are not to blame and that i`ve to contact my domain registrar. I think this a bull**** answer from the help desk in other words try somewhere else we are not to blame .
                  well any comment on this topic are very welcome

Comment

Are you using your ISP's mail server as a smarthost??

If you are do you need to login to the smarthost to be able to send mail??

Comment

BIG QUESTION:
                      wich server actually reject the emails sent to your domain? (you can find out, telnetting your smart hosts end exchange server on port 25. Use ehlo, mail from, rcpt to and data smtp commands to send a test email to one of your internal users.

REgareds,
                      csaba
                      Regards,
                      Csaba Papp
                      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

no i do not use ISPmail server as a smarthost.. so thats not the problem

Originally posted by wullieb1
                        Are you using your ISP's mail server as a smarthost??

If you are do you need to login to the smarthost to be able to send mail??

Comment

i`m gona look in to this Big question. try to give you the answer asap

BIG QUESTION:
                          wich server actually reject the emails sent to your domain? (you can find out, telnetting your smart hosts end exchange server on port 25. Use ehlo, mail from, rcpt to and data smtp commands to send a test email to one of your internal users.

REgareds,
                          csaba

Comment

Open your Exchange System manager, go to the Recipients, Recipients update policy.
                            Select the default recipient policy; go to the E-mail address (Policy) and the properties of you SMTP domain. Make sure that there is a check mark for "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address"

Regards,
                            Csaba
                            Regards,
                            Csaba Papp

Comment

I`ve found the check box but it is checked but also grayed out

Marco

Open your Exchange System manager, go to the Recipients, Recipients update policy.
                              Select the default recipient policy; go to the E-mail address (Policy) and the properties of you SMTP domain. Make sure that there is a check mark for "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address"

Regards,
                              Csaba
                              Last edited by mhoogev; 19th February 2006, 21:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X