Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 Mailbox limits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exchange 2003 Mailbox limits

    Having a slight problem applying mailbox limits on Exchange 2003. As far as i am aware there are 3 places you can set these.

    1) Server (Icon) - Mailbox Store in exchange system manager.
    2) Active Directory, Individual user properties.
    3) System Policies folder - New Mailbox policy.

    I tried setting a global limit for all users through system manager method. There are a handful of users who are allowed to be excluded from the global policy (their mailboxes are above the global limit) so i configured each user in Active Directory to have their own mailbox size which is above the global limit.

    My problem is that when i apply the Global setting the users i have excluded from the global report that their mailbox is full, it seems the global policy is being applied to their mailbox. I have checked the System Policies and found that there are no policys, so i'm a little puzzled this is something i have managed before without any hassle.

    Any advice welcome.

  • #2
    Re: Exchange 2003 Mailbox limits

    Sorry, can you explain again, step by step, what you did and what's not working?
    Cheers,

    Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Exchange 2003 Mailbox limits

      I want to set a global limit for 90% of users through the settings in exchange system manager. The other 10% of users will be excluded from the global mailbox limits and each have their own mailbox limit set from within active directory.

      I went through Active directory and the selected users that will have their own mailbox limits. Active Directory > User Properties > Exchange General Tab > Storage Limits > then deselected the 'Use mailbox store defaults' option so i could set individial settings.

      I did this for each user before going into Exchange System Manager and opening the properties of the Mailbox Store > Limits tab and then set the global mailbox limit.

      So i've set a global limit of 250mb per mailbox, and the excluded users have 400mb mailboxes set in active directory. For some reason with the Global mailbox limits enabled in exchange system manager the excluded users with bigger mailboxes are reporting as over their allowed limit but none are over the 400mb limit. I suspect the Global mailbox setting is being applied to all mailboxes even though i have set users to be excluded in Active Directory.

      I hope this makes it clearer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Exchange 2003 Mailbox limits

        how do you know they are enforcing the smaller limits? By looking at the Mailboxes node in ESM? Or by actually being limited to the smaller size?
        Cheers,

        Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Exchange 2003 Mailbox limits

          I don't know for sure if they are enforcing the smaller limits. All i really know is the exact limit set in ESM and the individual's user account in AD. Is there any utility to check the mailbox limit after i have applied the mailbox limits so i can see why the mailbox is reported as full?

          One thing i was wondering is whether setting individual mailbox limits before setting the global limit would take precedence and force the global setting on evey mailbox. I've normally done mailbox limitations by setting the Global setting first and then setting the individual mailbox settings.
          Last edited by tmlt; 8th February 2006, 12:52.

          Comment

          Working...
          X