Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, mailboxes overfilled!! Cant delete!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, mailboxes overfilled!! Cant delete!

Hello,

I have an account called "Log" that gets a copy of all emails sent and received. It has been ignored for some time and now is out of control. It has around 375,000 emails in the inbox. I tried to do some archiving, but it takes too long to perform. I was trying to do a month at a time, I started it Sat. @ 4pm and it was not finished as of Mon. 1 pm. When trying to archive this folder, Outlook lags for all users and is almost impossible to use. I am trying to figure out some way to get this folder back under control. I was thinking of having all emails sent to a folder, and not stored on the server, so that I can delete mail from there and not effect server performance? I also have another users inbox "administrator" that is very full. Nobody ever checks that mailbox either. What can I do to solve this? Please post some suggestions.

Thanks
    Eric

Re: Help, mailboxes overfilled!! Cant delete!

I searched through several different forums and I cant find anything that will work for me. If this goes ignored, it actually shuts down the server, because the drive becomes overfilled. Does anyone have any ideas? this is a huge problem here. thanks again..

Comment

Looks like you have quite a few issues there.

First, you need to find a solution for your archiving needs. The way you're doing it is the wrong way. And if you do archive to a folder or mailbox, make sure someone monitors it. I don't know how many users you're dealing with, but if you have half a million emails, it's either a huge organization, or you've been neglecting this issue for 3 years or so...

Furthermore, an Exchange server that runs out of disk space looks bad, so my only conclusion is that you need someone to either teach you how to use Exchange, or to handle your server till you get a grip of yourself.

So, go and buy yourself a nice archiving solution and get done with it.

I don't know what's in those mailboxes, but if you're willing to just delete them, you can do so from the ESM, and then purge them. You can next create new mailboxes for these users, which will of course be empty.

After a couple of days you can also consider performing an offline defrag of the Exchange DB, but be warned, RTFM before you do so.

Archiving the mailbox as you tried probably won't work because of the number of items, and it will probably create huge files, way above what the server might be able to easily handle.

If you want additional help you'll need to come back with more info.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for replying, I have just started working with the servers here, we have a total of 75 mailboxes. It is not a huge company but it has been running unmanaged for years. what the inbox contains is a copy of all inbound and outbound emails sent. It is a selection that you can choose to setup from the mailbox store properties. So, the size of that one inbox is about 4gb. There are 350k emails in the inbox, and archiving or trying to delete them makes it impossible for anyone to use outlook. One reason it has grown so large is because of spam, there is no spam filter here. I have been looking into ways of trying to deal with this ASAP. I was thinking of trying to convince them to get some software like GFI MailArchiver, seems like that would work perfect for this problem. Is there any other software that I couls use that might be a little less expensive? I am thinking even if I get mail archiver, I will still have to deal with that inbox at some point. I will not be able to defrag the exchange store because there is not enough free space. Maybe after I clean up some of those inboxes I will be able to do that, but not untill then. I am also getting pricing on some spam filters/virus scanners like Scanmail suite from Trendmicro. what you think about that?

Comment

As I said - just delete the user's milbox via the DSA.MSC, then purge it from the MBX store. Do this when the users go home.

Next, stop this idiotic archiving method.

GFI has some nice options for Anti Spam/Anti Virus. Why not try them too?
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

For auditing purposes we have to keep a copy of emails. So simply deleting the mailbox and stopping the journaling of emails is not an option. I am getting some pricing for GFi's products also; we do have an older version of scanmail running now. I was thinking it might be cheaper to update that rather than change to different software vendor.

Comment

Whatever you say. However if you say that the server is having issues with performance and disk space, it won't be long till you'll need to decide what is more important to you.

Good luck.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

This may or may not be relevant but i have implemented email archiving in the past by creating a new mail folder in the public folder and setting the mailbox store in exchange to archive all messages sent and received by mailboxes on the main store. This would take some of the strain off your main information store as it would be using the public folder databases and not the main exchange databases which contain your user mailboxes. I then export the email from the public folder to pst and any offline defrag required will have less of an impact on users email. This does not address your immediate problem but could be a worthwhile method of archiving in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X