Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup foward lookup zone for External Email

Hello,

First thanks in advanced for all the help and suggestions.

I have W2003 server enterprise ed & Exchange server 2003 Standard edition on a server with 2 NICs. The Internet side has static IP address, following the wizard, I setup the internal domain1.local and the emailing inside the network seems to work fine.

Could someone please help me with the configuration for a forward lookup zone to receive / send email ? or just point me to the right direction
    I vaguely know some MX record setting, do I need A record as well? and do I really need www.domain2.com or only domain2.com? do I really need to have a brand new zone at all to begin with?
    Thanks very much
    TT

An MX record must point to a host defined by an A record.

The A record can be "yourdomain.com" it doesn't have to be www.yourdowmain.com. Ultimately it doesn't matter what you call the A record, it could be - blahblahblahblahblah.yourdomain.com which corresponds to an IP and the MX record references the A rercord. Also if you're hosting the DNS you must be the SOA for this zone in order to make an authoritative record (technically you can do anything you want to your DNS server but it won't affect users outside your domain or even users in your domain who don't use the DNS server).

Also if your domain is called "domain.local" you're not using an FQDN and you're going to have problems sending email outside your domain.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have 2 distinct domain names, 1 for internal smallbiz.local and the other for external email tlis.info. So if I understand you correctly, I need A & MX records for my domain tlis.info, and it's irrelevant whether it's www.tlis.info or just tlis.info, is this correct?

I dont know a lot about DNS thing, hope you can help. I'm running DNS server right on my W2003 to manage domain tlis.info. My concern is, the registrar that I have the domain with (domainmonger.com) they also run DNS server service from their end and even allow users to go their site modify A & MX record. Would this create any problem, if I go to their site and do some pointing for A & MX record to my server? since we now have 2 DNS servers running for 1 domain?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ttran
        I have 2 distinct domain names, 1 for internal smallbiz.local and the other for external email tlis.info. So if I understand you correctly, I need A & MX records for my domain tlis.info, and it's irrelevant whether it's www.tlis.info or just tlis.info, is this correct?
        Correct because it uses the IP address that the A record resolves to, not the URL in the A record.

Originally posted by ttran
        I dont know a lot about DNS thing, hope you can help. I'm running DNS server right on my W2003 to manage domain tlis.info. My concern is, the registrar that I have the domain with (domainmonger.com) they also run DNS server service from their end and even allow users to go their site modify A & MX record. Would this create any problem, if I go to their site and do some pointing for A & MX record to my server? since we now have 2 DNS servers running for 1 domain?
        You don't need to host the DNS yourself, you can create the A and MX records with your host. Do you have a static IP?

If you want to do it yourself you need to make sure your host has delegated a zone for which you are authoritative. If they haven't you'll need to contact your host and ask about zone delegation. Honestly though, if you don't know a lot about DNS I don't suggest it, it's just too easy to hose yourself.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for the advise.
          I have a better understanding now, what really happened is I got confused between DNS at the registrar level and the DNs I have on my Windows server 2003. It's a 2 separate things.

The internal domain like smallbiz.local is managed totally by my DNS.
          The external domain tlis.info is managed by registrar DNS, the A & MX records all those setting with external are with the registrar. I didn't know this, so I was trying to set up at my W2003 server DNS without doing any mapping at thier server level. Howwever once the mapping is done at server level, evverything is OK. My email just barely have to add the smtp virtual server and it can receive and send email.

Thanks again
          TT

Comment

I'm glad you figured it out. I'm glad that I could help.
            Andrew

Comment

Working...
            X