clustering exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clustering exchange 2003

I am in the process of creating an EX cluster on my network. im not new to AD, but i am new to exchange and clustered servers... i took the 2400B course but it didnt touch very deeply on the clustering specs and prereqs

my plans for the exchange installation include a front end and an active/passive back end.

the a/p cluster have separate drives on a SANs for both the t-logs(L: ) and the mail stores(S: )... all on fiber. storage is not an issue, so more drives can be built in any RAID config nessasary.

i created the cluster this weekend, and inadvertently let it install the quorum on the L: drive that i had created for the t-logs. i have not yet installed exchange on any node as of yet.

i just have some questions about the quorum location... my understanding is that both the drives(L: and S: ) need to be empty before the exchange installation, and here i have gone installed the quorum data there...
    1. shoud i move the quorum data off the L: before the exchange install or can i leave them there? it looks pretty str8 forward with the cluster administration interface.. just point to a new location.
    2. should the quorum logs be on a separate drive from the OS? i assume they need to be accesable by all nodes on the cluster, right? where does everyone else put their quorum logs?
    3. how big will these q-logs get and what is their purpose? do they need to be backed up?

sorry for such newbish questions.. any suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciated.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: clustering exchange 2003

i hate answering my own questions (cause it makes me look lazy... ) but i figured some of it out so far. gotta love the knowledge base.

sorry to double post, i just wanted to be thorough.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...b09801033.mspx

that pretty much explained what, why, when, and how... but it still leaves me with the question of how large does the physical disk need to be?

can the quorum logs be a role over type thing? and what is the optimal RAID configuration for the q-logs? being that im only running a 2 node cluster i wouldnt think they would get that big...

Comment

Re: clustering exchange 2003

finally..

i recieved a direct answer from microsoft. the recommended size for a quorum log is 500 megabytes, but 1 gig is prefered. they said they shouldnt get that big, but the extra space wont hurt.

the logs should reside on their own drive accessable by all nodes on the cluster.

Comment

Working...
      X