Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding all Valid email addresses on exchange

Hi

I am trying to figure out how to discover what emails addresses are valid for my Exchange Server. I did not set this exchange server up and for example there is a user which accepts emails on 8 different email addresses.

Is there a way to find out all the email addresses that my exchange server will accept emails for and which user they are connected to?

Regards

Azrial

Re: Finding all Valid email addresses on exchange

Check your recipient policies, anything not in there will not get routed. That will give you an idea of what your server will accept.

In reality there could be more (or even less) that actually work, for each domain name you find in the recipient policy check the MX records for them to ensure you still own the domain and it's setup correctly (i.e. pointing to your server).

There could also be more domains setup to point to your server, but no-one has configured it in your recipient policies, difficult to find out really, you could check your firewall logs to find out but maybe messy.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Recipient Policies will tell me what domains the emails will accept

e.g. @testemail.com

I want to know if [email protected] is a valid email address or who is using [email protected] as an email address

Comment

Ah right !

If you know the specifics, just open outlook and type the email address then kit CTRL + K this will resolve to whoever has the email address.

If you want an entire list you need to export your GAL, I can't remember how to do this but will have a quick look around and come back to you.

topper

Comment

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=6322

or

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;149447
          Last edited by topper; 30th January 2006, 09:56.

Comment

I think the GAL only shows the mailbox-enabled users that are not hidden from the directory. It does not show what mail addresses the username will accept.

Example most of my users have their full name as their primary smtp address.

e.g [email protected]

but they can still recieve emails to the same account using [email protected] which is their username.

Looking at the GAL only shows me their primary email address and not secondary ones.

Comment

The GAL does show all of the secondary SMTP address', but as you say it will not show all the hidden users\mailboxes.

What you can do is script an ADSI output and output the proxyAddresses property, which is a user class.

topper.

Comment

If I understand correctly, the GAL export just shows a list of mailboxes? not SMTP addresses?

How does a directory harvest work? That is what I really need to do, find out every smtp email address on my servers.

Thanks,

Marc
                Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by tnshurtm View Post
                  How does a directory harvest work?

Thanks,

Marc
                  http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dir...ient=firefox-a

Comment

I found what I was looking for. This lists every email in the domain.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318774

This link says "Removing duplicate and unwanted proxy addresses in Exchange"

But this command gives you the output text file. The only problem is that the text file is messy and needs a lot of cleanup to get just the email addresses. Luckily I have a programmer at work that just pulled the needed info.

ldifde -f badproxies.txt -d "dc=domain,dc=com" -l proxyaddresses -r "(proxyaddresses=*smtp:*@*)"

In the text file. the SMTP are default and the smtp are aliases.

Marc
                    Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Hi,

Regarding to how to fined a user with a specific smtp address, see the following link:
                      http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/labels/AD__LDAP.html
                      Actually, if you have a windows 2003 member server with Exchange System Management tools installed, you can quickly build a LDAP query and look for a user/users with a specific smtp address.
                      Last edited by netxt; 15th December 2006, 11:39.
                      Regards,
                      Csaba Papp
                      MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
                      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Working...
                      X