No announcement yet.

about exchange 2003 on hyper-v

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about exchange 2003 on hyper-v

after moving exchange 2003 on hyper-v (2008r2) when open search from outlook 2007 it write"retrieving data from exchange " and freeze to 2-3 minutes
    before moving exchange on hyper-v it does not had this issue
    outlook 2007 work on terminal server 2003
    outlook 2007 that work on local computer with ost file don't have this issue.
    all help is very desirable

Re: about exchange 2003 on hyper-v

Remember that exchange 2003 predates hyperv by several years, and is not I don't think officially supported virtualised. Given that some of the significant changes for exchange 2007 and above were for dramatically reducing disk IOPS, then my gut feeling is that your issue is that exchange 2003 is essentially thrashing the virtual hard disks. Exchange 2003 was never designed with virtualisation in mind, unlike especially exchange 2010 and 2013.

Only way I think you're going to get round this without upgrading exchange would be to ensure that your underlying disk structure is fast RAID10, ensuring that your OS, mail databases and logs VHD's are on separate spindles. To be honest a migration may be the path of least resistance. If you go the migration route, note that you can only go to exchange 2010 in a single step co-existence migration.

Good luck!