Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring Failed Exchange Server

Hi,

I recently had an Exchange 2003 Server Enterprise Edition fail on me. I did not have any backup utilities enabled or configured at the time so I am pretty much SOL to take that path for disaster recovery. What I was able to recover are two files: priv1.edb and priv1.stm as well all of the transaction logs. The server failed due to a software configuration issue initially with the OS so all of the database files are intact and working fine. I only have the files, I don't have any specifically configured files such a bfk file generated by NTBackup.

What restoration options do I have available? I just need to get the .ost format for 3 mailboxes in the Exchange Database out of there and import them to a new mailbox.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Gary

Re: Restoring Failed Exchange Server

This might be worth a look, oh yes indeed!! http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...-368&ad=532363
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have a look at the following link.
      http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...-368&ad=532363
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have a look at the following link.
        http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...-368&ad=532363
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

This is a recovery solution from the .ost file

Is there a recovery solution for the actual .edb and .stm file?

Comment

Maybe this will help

http://support.microsoft.com/default...5BLN%5D;824126

or even this

http://computerperformance.co.uk/exc...03_restore.htm

Comment

This is 7 days old now so I don't know if it will help, but here goes.
              I have had 2 scenarios like this. First involved the "repair" method.
              Since you indicated that the issue occurred in the OS and not hardware, I am hoping all the Hardware is still working and not changed.

This occurred on a the FSMO holder of all roles: PDC, RID, Infra and Schema.
              The onsite tech booted the server without all the drives in the array properly plugged in after a hardware change. It was a Hardware Raid5.

You can boot with the server CD and by pass the first "repair" option to where you begin searching for the Previous windows installs. Once the install detects that the previous install is present, it will offer to repair it. Allow the repair to proceed. After the first reboot, don't worry about service errors yet. Update the server to the same patch level (OS and Exchange) that you were previously running at and reboot.
              Once there you should be able to mount the store successfully. If GC and DC are online all accounts should sync up and retrieve mail no problem.

Second option with more stress:
              Same HW, new OS version install, new EX version, and even new domain.
              I had to recover a full domain for a law firm where they decided for ease of use all passwords should be blank. Domain got whacked bad, it soon became a game server. They also had no idea what was going on, it was only after they asked us why their internet was so slow we saw what was going on.
              Fortunately, the data and OS were on different partitions. They wanted 2003 and gave us 48 hours to recreate everything including desktops.

Now the previous domain was Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000.
              Build domain controllers and servers. Once build, rename the old info stores so that they will not get over written when you change the path after the install and proceed to install Exchange 2003.
              Create users account but do not create the exchange portions of any users.
              Once the users are created, change the settings on the information store to allow it be overwritten by a restore. Then change the path of the default information store to the location where the original information stores were located. Stop the exchange information store service and rename to default information stores to anything else. Rename the old information stores to the name of the new installs store names and restart the store service. This will allow the store to over write the "fresh install" and allow access to all the old mail folders....but wait we are not done yet.
              Now all the mail folders will no longer be associated. In the information store right click the Mailboxes folder while in System manager and run clean up agent. This will now make all the mail boxes appear with red "X's" on them.
              Right click each individual mail box and re-associate with a the appropriate user. Now the individual mail box has been connected with their respective users a brand new domain allowing you to plan your proper and full migration with no data loss and minimal down time.

HTH
              IKE

Comment

Working...
              X