Question about migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010

Just wondering how everyone else gets on with migrating from exchange 2003 to 2010 or newer?

I have settled on using exmerge now to export email from 2003, then check the size of the PSTs against the size listed in ESM.

Then once I import it all to 2010 I check the item count and compare that to the original item count listed in ESM, to confirm integrity.

Is that the best way?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: Question about migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010

Originally posted by davids355 View Post
    Just wondering how everyone else gets on with migrating from exchange 2003 to 2010 or newer?

I have settled on using exmerge now to export email from 2003, then check the size of the PSTs against the size listed in ESM.

Then once I import it all to 2010 I check the item count and compare that to the original item count listed in ESM, to confirm integrity.

Is that the best way?
    We haven't as yet gone through the migration but isn't it just a case of using the Exchange Tasks and moving the users mailbox from one server to the next?

I got this from a migration doc that I copied and pasted from the web, http://exchange.sembee.info/2010/install/migration.asp

2. Move mailboxes to Exchange 2010.
    Of course the first mailbox that is moved is your own. To move the mailbox, use Exchange Management Console on the Exchange 2010 server. Test and verify that you are able to mail between yourself and other users on the Exchange 2003 server.
    You can then select the mailboxes in bulk to move them to the new server. The move mailbox process will only move four at any one time, but will move on to the next one automatically. However if you are using multiple databases then you will need to move the users on a per database basis.
    Note - once over half of the users have been moved, you can consider completing stage 2 below - redirecting SMTP traffic. It doesn't make sense to have most of the email traffic the Exchange 2003 server receives simply passed on to the Exchange 2010 server.

Comment

Ah, didn't know about that
      Will try that on the next migration.
      David Silvester
      Systems Administrator

Comment

Yeah, definitely follow the migration steps from Sembee and/or Microsoft. They have check lists and give you all the steps... and it's so much easier than exporting/importing. More seamless to the end user too.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          Yeah, definitely follow the migration steps from Sembee and/or Microsoft. They have check lists and give you all the steps... and it's so much easier than exporting/importing. More seamless to the end user too.
          Thanks. Quite funny really because I have a massively elaborate batch script that I built to handle exmerge and its 2GB PST limit when exporting from 2003

Have done a migration the correct way once (From sbs 2003 to 2008 standard i think), I followed this guide which was quite helpful:

http://demazter.wordpress.com/2010/0...ndows-2008-r2/

BUT, in that scenario, we were discontinuing the Exchange component, so I never actually got to do that part of it
          It was very satisfying to complete the migration of everything else successfully.

In my case though, it did take me just as long as doing it all manually!

On another note, does the procedure still work if you are going from and to an SBS environment?

At the moment, a lot of our installs are from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011??
          Thanks.
          David Silvester
          Systems Administrator

Comment

Well, yes since Exchange is Exchange is Exchange... but if it's to an SBS server then get the SBS migration doc as it covers all the SBS components.

Once you've followed the doc then the next time is much faster.
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../gg490796.aspx
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

out of interest, what is the correct way to go about migrating server 2003 standard AND exchange 2003, to server 2012 and exchange 2013?
              David Silvester
              Systems Administrator

Comment

out of interest, what is the correct way to go about migrating server 2003 standard AND exchange 2003, to server 2012 and exchange 2013?
                Migrate your Server 2003 to Server 2008 R2 then onto Server 2012 R2

Migrate your Exchange 2003 server to Exchange 2007/2010 and then to Exchange 2013.

AFAIK there is no direct migration path for what you require. It will need to be staged.

Comment

It's certainly a 2-stage Exchange migration from 2003 to 2013, I think you can go straight from 2003 to 2012 R2 with your domain controllers though.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    It's certainly a 2-stage Exchange migration from 2003 to 2013, I think you can go straight from 2003 to 2012 R2 with your domain controllers though.
                    Yeah your right if you are not upgrading the servers. New builds as long as the FFL is 2003 you can install the 2012 R2 servers. But then it would be the same as going from 2003 to 2008 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/library...K_UpgradePaths

Comment

Currently (December 2013) Windows 2012 R2 is not supported as either the HOST or DC for any version of Exchange.
                      Exchange 2003 in particular doesn't like it. Therefore if you want to upgrade your domain controllers the latest I would consider going to with Exchange 2003 is Windows 2008 R2. Once you have migrated to Exchange 2010 then you can upgrade further.

The support should change for Exchange 2013 with Service Pack 1.

Simon.
                      --
                      Simon Butler
                      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                        Currently (December 2013) Windows 2012 R2 is not supported as either the HOST or DC for any version of Exchange.
                        Exchange 2003 in particular doesn't like it. Therefore if you want to upgrade your domain controllers the latest I would consider going to with Exchange 2003 is Windows 2008 R2. Once you have migrated to Exchange 2010 then you can upgrade further.

Simon.
                        Thanks Simon.

This is something we are looking at right now so this comes in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post

Simon.
                          windows 2012 R2 wont work with any version of exchange?? We have server 2012 running with exchange 2010 (which requires a workaround I think to get the ESM working correctly.
                          We also have server 2012 running with Exchange 2013 and that works without any issue.??

Anyway, on the subject, when it gets closer to our next migration (probably early January) I will come back and ask a more specific question when I know which version we are moving to.
                          David Silvester
                          Systems Administrator

Comment

windows 2012 R2 wont work with any version of exchange?? We have server 2012 running with exchange 2010 (which requires a workaround I think to get the ESM working correctly.
                            We also have server 2012 running with Exchange 2013 and that works without any issue.??

Anyway, on the subject, when it gets closer to our next migration (probably early January) I will come back and ask a more specific question when I know which version we are moving to.
                            Its the R2 version of 2012 that isn't supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                              Its the R2 version of 2012 that isn't supported.
                              Is R2 just the second release of 2012?
                              How come they removed support for Exchange? It seems strange to me?
                              David Silvester
                              Systems Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X