One Queue Not Sending Email

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Queue Not Sending Email

I hope I can explain this. We had a server that is our primary domain controller (xxxpdc). It also ran Exchange 2003. The person in my position a year or so ago, moved Exchange to a new server (xxx-xxx-mail) and migrated everyone over to it. We have not had one single error on it regarding queues until yesterday. Looking at the queues..there is one that is xxxpdc.xxx.xxx (FQDN).(note: this is our OLD exchange server) All of a sudden any messages that end up in it, never get sent and just pile up.

Now if I go in and look at the messages that are in there they are all from an email address of [email protected]. All of the subjects are "Folder Content" and all of the recipients are "SMTP:[email protected]

Outbound and Internal mail don't seem to be affected. Even when our current queue growth gets up to 180mins (and alerts us).

I have no idea where to even begin.

I have frozen that queue for the time being. If I unfreeze it and force connection, it will stay for a bit (still not sending messages) but then at the bottom it will report "The connection was dropped by the remote host".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Dan

Re: One Queue Not Sending Email

1. It sounds like the previous admin didn't remove the old Exchange server, so the new Exchange server thinks it still exists.

2. From your description it sounds like these messages are Public Folder content messages that the new server is trying to send to the old server to replicate the contents of your Public Folders. This can be ignored. The messages should eventually "expire".

3. As a permanent solution you should remove the orphaned Exchange server from the domain. - http://www.msexchange.org/articles-t...anization.html

Comment

Thank you so much for such a quick reply! I thought it was something like that because it wasn't affecting outbound/inbound mail at all. Just curious as to why, just yesterday, I started getting queue alerts when I haven't in the past. (more of a rhetorical question

Thanks again!
      Dan

Comment

I suppose that the size of the queue is dependent on the number of Public Folder changes that need to be replicated. If you've had a number of adds/deletes/changes to Public folder content then that would probably explain it.

Comment

Working...
        X