No announcement yet.

Setup VPN with Single NIC Card

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup VPN with Single NIC Card

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to setup VPN access for remote clients. The server has a single NIC card running Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition with Exchange 2003 Enterprise. I used the enable remote access configuration wizard on the custom selection.

VPN is now enabled with DHCP. I am able to remotely connect to the server with a successfull connection for VPN, but outlook still tells me it cannot find the Exchange Server even after I am connected.

Are there any additional steps I need to take to configure this VPN? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Setup VPN with Single NIC Card

Is the DHCP sit on the server it self or provide by other server?
    Did the client get the IP from the DHCP and the DNS/WINS servers IP's also?
    Did you tried to use HOST file or/and HOSTS file for checking if name resolution
    Is the cause for this isse?
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn:, Blog:

I double checked to see if it was DNS for name resolution and DNS is 100% working fine. The DHCP is sitting on the same server. Everything is all on one server and the client is obtaining the IP from the DHCP server. Still no go though... I don't know what I'm missing.

i am having a similar problem w/ vpn - maybe our solutions are similar - i don't mean to hijack your topic

we have a sonicwall vpn device. From any computer with internet access i can use our public ip to our router which will redirect me to our sonicwall. I login - start the vpn service which assigns me an ip from the the lan's range to a virtual sonicwall vpn network adapter.

i can then ping computers and servers on the network by ip but i cannot ping them by their FQDN. i can \\ (whack whack) into a computer/server via ip but not by netbios name, i.e. \\svr1.

i can successfully "check name" in outlook setup using the exchange server ip but not FQDN. However when i attempt to open outlook it hangs and and then gives me an error stating "the server mailbox could not be opened, please ensure you are connected....."

btw - the sonicwall is configured with the static ip of the DNS server

many thx

just found this topic which i will try tonight when i get home

reference tonyyeb's instructions editing the hosts file