Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange server lost trust relationship with domain....now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange server lost trust relationship with domain....now what?

We had a server crash a few nights ago - Server 2003 running our only Exchange 2003 server. Used Acronis and brought back just the System drive (exchange data was on a different drive) to the last available backup which was from a few weeks ago. When it came up, it lost its trust relationship with the domain. I am logged in as a local user now and not sure what to do. Typically we would unjoin and rejoin although I don't know how good of an idea that is with Exchange Server.

Any ideas? As soon as possible?

Thanks!

Re: Exchange server lost trust relationship with domain....now what?

It has worked with Exchange 2007:
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...exchange+trust (see post #8 and following, and the Microsoft link I refer to) but as always "at your own risk"

You don't have much to lose....

Oh... and reconsider your backup strategy
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      It has worked with Exchange 2007:
      http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...exchange+trust (see post #8 and following, and the Microsoft link I refer to) but as always "at your own risk"

You don't have much to lose....

Oh... and reconsider your backup strategy
      I can confirm that disjoining and rejoining in fact didn't make the server go crazy, however the DB shut down dirty and we lost the log files (which were on the C drive and not the E drive with the EDB files and therefore not backed up daily rather monthly). So we just performed a hard repair and are now performing a defrag as per MS support. Hopefully there won't be too much data loss.

Thanks Ossian for you help!

Comment

Did you shut down (disable) all the Exchange services first? (as warned in the MS link)

Glad you got it (mainly) fixed
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Did you shut down (disable) all the Exchange services first? (as warned in the MS link)

Glad you got it (mainly) fixed
          I did STOP all the exchange services but not disable. It had nothing to do with it. Exchange was shut down dirty, and we did not have the log files to replay it.

Ultimately, with the help of MS support, we disjoined, rejoined, and then ran what they called a "hard repair" which they said was different than a hard recovery. The hard repair finished, and then we ran a defrag. After the defrag, the store still wouldn't mount because the checksum file in the log directory didn't match. So we moved the log files to a different folder and then mounted the store which worked. (YAY!). We then immediately dismounted the store and ran a command to check the integrity called isinteg. After running that, fixing errors, and running it again, we mounted the store and everything is fine now.

Of course I set up ntbackup to do a full IS backup nightly now.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X