How to test SPF record/Sender ID in exchange 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to test SPF record/Sender ID in exchange 2003

I am trying to sort out some issues I am having successfully sending to Microsoft email servers.

Anyway, one of the requirements is SPF record, which I have now set up, but I wanted to try and test the SPF records validity.

I can check the presence of the record on-line, but I wanted to test it in a real world scenario.

So I thought I would enable Sender ID on exchange 2003 and try sending a message to a mailbox there, before I configure SPF, to see if its blocked, and then send one again once SPF is configured.

However, I set up sender ID, restarted SMTP server, and send an email from a domain that does not have an SPF record in place, and the message still came through...?

Am I missing something?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: How to test SPF record/Sender ID in exchange 2003

I know that you have to set it on Exchange 2003 in two places, so verify that side. Also, not all Domains have an SPF. If it doesn't, it will still be allowed through. If it does and the mail for the Domain comes from an IP not referenced in their SPF record, it will then carry out the action you have set.

Some also add a Domain key as well.

Comment

Re: How to test SPF record/Sender ID in exchange 2003

Yes, I set it in both places - I think it's in policies, and also in the settings for the smtp server.

However, I didn't know that a domain with no SPF record would be accepted - the domain in question does not have an SPF record set up, so that makes sense.

Anyway, its irrelevant now; I changed the smart host for the domain in question, from hostgator to 1and1, and the emails went straight to Microsoft inbox, so I'm guessing hostgator IP doesn't have a great reputation with MS (which I have now submitted a ticket for).

Thanks for your help and the quick response.
      David Silvester
      Systems Administrator

Comment

Working...
      X