No announcement yet.

How to reduce edb file exchange 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to reduce edb file exchange 2003

I need help with reducing edb files (private &public) in exchange server 2003.
    I've seen notes that backup will help , but I need help with backup instruction as well

Re: How to reduce edb file exchange 2003

The files don't reduce on their own.
    If you are using standard edition then the limit is 75gb, but that takes in to account the white space.

Therefore the first thing you should do is verify how much white (free) space is in the database. Event ID 1221 will tell you that.

Backup of Exchange is done with an Exchange aware backup application. There are plenty of those around, including the built in NT Backup tool.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: How to reduce edb file exchange 2003

The only way I know to reduce size is defragmentation. That is how you eliminate the white space Sembee refers to. That space occurs when you delete a mailbox. See, deleting a mailbox doesn't reduce the size of the database one iota, it just uses that white space to fill in the gap.

It's been a while since I've done it, so I couldn't give you a step-by-step. I know you use a MS program called 'eseutil' and you'll need at least as much free space as your database takes up. It makes a copy of the database for the defrag, so if the DB is 10 GB in size, that's how much free space you'll need. Always do a backup or even a flat-file copy before beginning this process, and expect the process to take a while.