Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help figuring out which GC would hold details of dist groups for child domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help figuring out which GC would hold details of dist groups for child domain

I don't know if this is an Exchange question or an AD question if I'm honest, but I am trying to figure out which GC would be responsible for a certain child domain.

The Exchange version is 2003 and I believe the domain level is 2000! I have not got much experience with either of these!

I have a user who cannot manage a distribution group from Outlook 2007, despite the fact that the group's object is on the same child domain that the user's AD account is. Her mailbox however, is stored on a server belonging to one of the other child domains.

Say the parent domain is XXX.com, her account (and the distibution group) lives on edinburgh.XXX.com, her mailbox lives on a server that is on group.XXX.com.

Should that affect it??

I've done a lot of reading on this so far and am now wondering if the issue might be that her mailbox being where it is is causing her Outlook to connect to a GC that doesn't have a writable copy of the distribution group on it. Is this a likely scenario? If this IS the case, how do I find out which GC would have a copy of the distribution group on it?

The error she gets BTW is Changes to the distribution list membership could not be saved. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object.

A fairly common one it seems, but most things I have read about this error relate to systems where there has been an upgrade to Exchange 2010.

I'm stumped now though, so any help would be really welcome.

Re: Need help figuring out which GC would hold details of dist groups for child domai

Does she have the correct permissions to edit the members of the distribution group?

Comment

Re: Need help figuring out which GC would hold details of dist groups for child domai

She does. She is listed as manager, is also a member of the group, and I have tried also assigning full control on the Security tab of the AD object. It's all very frustrating!

Comment

Is the group a Global or a Universal security group?
        Rules of life:
        1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
        2. Simplicity is godliness
        3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

It's Universal.

Comment

Anyone? Still experiencing this issue

Comment

Working...
            X