• Show
Clear All

• another server in the network missed up my exchange server

my network is as following :
    1- domain controller --- windows server 2003
    2- backup domain controller --- windows server 2003
    3- exchange server --- windows server 2003
    some other servers

i have never backuped up my exhcnage server before today , so i made a backup using NTbackup utility , and I thought of testing how to restore the backup.

i made another virtual machine server with windows server 2003 and I gave it the same name as the original exchange server and joint it to the domain "not good at all !!! "
    i was trying to install exchange server on the VM to test the restore of the backup . but a colleague notified me that there is a problem with the exchange server .

I tried to log it to the server but when i enter my username and password it gives me error message :

"Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain  controller 
     is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was  not 
     found.  Please try again later.  If this message continues to appear,  contact 
     your system administrator for assistance"
    i read about it and knew its something because of the duplicate name , I tryed to go to AS users and computer and reset the account of the exchange server with no luck

I logged in to the exchange with local admin , tried to dis-join it from the domain but i was prevented by the message

the identification of the computer cannot be changed because:  The Certification Authority Service is installed on this computer.
    could any guide me please

Re: another server in the network missed up my exchange server

OK, so let me get this right....

You backed up a server (nothing wrong with that)
    You built a new server and joined it to the domain with an existing machine name
    As a result you kidnapped the account of the main Exchange server
    You then reset the account in AD and tried disjoining the Exchange server
    At this point, email is totally down?

I suggest you consider doing the following
    1) STOP AND THINK AND GET OTHER ADVICE (i.e. don't assume my answer is authoritative)
    2) Stop incoming email until things are fixed
    3) Copy the Exchange Databases and Logs to somewhere very safe (the backup you made may come in handy
    4) Get rid of the test server which caused all the problems
    5) try rejoining the main server to the domain
    6) Do a DR setup of Exchange following the guidance here:
    7) If all is OK, recover the databases

You may want to consider building a whole new server (or wiping the Exchange one) and joining it to the domain with the existing account (and for <deity's> sake, do not do anything to damage that AD account as it is all that remains between you and the unemployment office.

You may also wish to consider paying Microsoft Product Support to help you with this as you have caused a major disaster with what is presumably a business critical system.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **