No announcement yet.

Slow internet and inside network speed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow internet and inside network speed.

hi all..

i have a problem...

my internet and internal network speed is really slow...

the problem is solved when i disable in my exchange the smtp virtual server.

i understand that slow internet can be caused by NDR Attack but the other symptomes of that is messeges stuck in queue but my mail go out fine...
    slow... but fine...

anyway, by diabling the smtp virtual server all speed is back to normal, activating it and its slow again.

importent to tell that they are no messages in queue to be deliverd...

anyone have an i ida what can cause this ?

thanks.

rAVx

working with : sbs2000, exchange2000 , isa 2000.

Re: Slow internet and inside network speed.

What is your antivirus scanning? Network traffic? (What is your A/V)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What about the BADMAIL folder? Is it full of items? What are your RELAYING settings?
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

hi .

well, my a/v is McAfee ... scanning with transport scanning (not VSAPI)

and yes, it strage but my bad mail folder is empty, till now everyday i would delete from there 100 messages more or less, but now , plain clean...

strange...

Comment

Not stange. Do you have SP1? In SP1 the badmail folder functionality has been dropped. You can change it and set a limit on its size.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884068
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i keep my server up to date with every sp or update microsoft release...

well, while im tring to figured it up , i saw that under :

my SMTP virutal server => properties => messages => forward all unresolved mail to hosts: => there is my isp mail server (mx.bezeqint.net).

can it be it delived all that " BAD MAIL " back to bezeq mail server ?

i delete it and restarted SMTP server for an half hour but till now no new bad mail in my computer...

any ida ?

by the way, if ill transfer all the "junk" messages to that server wont they think im a spammer and blacklisted me ?

Comment

I suggest you remove that option. It is not used for that, and it will only cause messages to loop back and forth.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

What the version of the Mcafee? Te current Mcafee version is 6.2 and its recommand to use this version.
                Also, what the network upload/download perfomance?
                Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

I had a simular problem happen and it was found that one of my users, who normally sends out a ton of mail, had been starting to attach files to her emails. Because of the shear amount of mail she sends, she was choking the upstream (ADSL connection). The problem resolved over the weekend on it's own and by telling her to hold up on sending anymore mail with attachments to see.

Comment

ok, first of all thanks to all of you...

well, i really check for big mail my server send and tracked down that one of my users really sends big mails out (long live AVi clips...) , talk with him to calm down or else...

second my line is simple 2mb/150kb up/down ADSL line, i guess i need to upgrade it if i use a mail server...

third, yes , im using McAfee 6.2 groupshild... (p.s , im so dissapointing from this av).

but what wonder me the most is that even if they are not messages waiting to be send (in queue) my internet still slow... but he got nothing to send , and if i disable the virtual server fast again...

well, at least for now is working fine , thanks all for your help...
                    if you came across more reasone you think i need to check please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by ravx
                      but what wonder me the most is that even if they are not messages waiting to be send (in queue) my internet still slow... but he got nothing to send , and if i disable the virtual server fast again...
                      What you describe may be the effect of a virus/worm on the server itself. Such code will send a mass of email/spam but will not show in the queue. Use the badmail trick to see if you have a lot of items there (read my post about how to enable it).
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

thanks mr. petri , will do that .

Comment

If you have slow perfomance try the following tricks:

1. Check that there no email in the mail server queue.
                          2. Try to access web site by using IP and not host/domain name.
                          3. Try to reboot the ADSL model.
                          4. Try to replace the modem/firewall that you use.
                          5. Try to use network switch - HP/Nortel/Cisco.
                          6. Block users to access the internet beside:
                          HTTP/HTTPS/FTP,SSH/Remote Desktop Ports

There few reasons why there slow perfomance and I dont think that
                          only the mail server is the issue.

Regards,

Yuval
                          Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

I think that you should use scanmail for exchange 2000 or 2003
                            search about it

Comment

hi there,

i used to have problems with my internet speed as well. sometimes takes ages to load a webpage. a friend introduced me to DELETED BY MOD. It has helped speed up my internet connection by 5-10 times, and i'm on adsl. why not check it out at DELETED BY MOD. currently, there's a free trial version too....
                              Last edited by danielp; 3rd July 2006, 06:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X