Cannot delete public folders after migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot delete public folders after migration

I have migrated my exchange 2003 to exchange 2010. Mailboxs have been moved, public folders have been moved and I can see the new exchange server is the master.

On the old exchange, 2003, I cannot delete the public folders.

Re: Cannot delete public folders after migration

Have you migrated all the system public folders (e.g. OAB, Free/Busy)?
    Has the migration completed?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

youll have a hard time removing public folders that have not replicated changes. thats why you get those warnings when you try to remove them...

i think (as i had this problem back in the day) the easiest way to manage their removal is to use adsi. if you dont have two servers its damn near impossible to do it with EMC.

just drill down to the information store in the configuration container and delete them. just restart the exchange information store service and VIOLA! no more pesky public stores.

but as always, i am not responsible for you hosing something with adsi, so backup the schema first and then, yada yada.

hope that helps.

J
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Have you migrated all the system public folders (e.g. OAB, Free/Busy)?
        Has the migration completed?
        How do I verify what is moved and what is not?

Comment

Originally posted by hilsoe View Post
          How do I verify what is moved and what is not?
          this may help:

How to Check Public Folder Replication Status

and in the event something didnt work and you want to know why:

How to troubleshoot public folder replication problems in Exchange 2000 Server and in Exchange Server 2003

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
            My old Exchange 2003 says In Sync, my new Exchange 2010 says Local Modified.

How do I change it to In Sync?

Comment

Ignore sync status. It means nothing and is useless.
              The only reliable way to know iof the folders have replicated is item count. That means comparing what you see in ESM to get-publicfolderstatistics in Exchange 2010.

If you have moved all of the mailboxes, then use the move all replicas command in ESM to move everything off Exchange 2003. You will find it on the right click menu on the Public Folder Database.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                Ignore sync status. It means nothing and is useless.
                The only reliable way to know iof the folders have replicated is item count. That means comparing what you see in ESM to get-publicfolderstatistics in Exchange 2010.

If you have moved all of the mailboxes, then use the move all replicas command in ESM to move everything off Exchange 2003. You will find it on the right click menu on the Public Folder Database.

Simon.
                I can't see how I can know if the public folders are moved when I run the get-publicfolderstatistics on Exchange 2010.

Can you guide me through the process of moving the public folders, step by step and by accurate when you mean Exchange System Manager (ESM) or Exchange Management Console (EMC)

Comment

As I said, you know by comparing item count. There is no quick fire method to know if you are in coexistence, it requires work - comparing the output of get-publicfolderstatistics and what you can see in Exchange 2003 ESM.

However if you are removing Exchange 2003 then just use Move All Replicas AS I HAVE ALREADY SAID - which will move everything off Exchange 2003 to another server. Then you just wait for Public Folder Instances to empty in ESM which shows all content has gone away.

This is documented quite heavily on Technet and others. Being blunt - have you actually read any of the documentation on migration that is on Technet and other sites (including this one)?

Simon.
                  --
                  Simon Butler
                  Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                  More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                  Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                  In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

All right, I did what you said, the comparison showed that it was moved, I then followed the rest for my guide to remove Exchange 2003 from my organisation and after uninstalling Exchange 2003 from my server and rebooting it ALL my publuc folders are gone

Comment

All right, I did what you said, the comparison showed that it was moved, I then followed the rest for my guide to remove Exchange 2003 from my organisation and after uninstalling Exchange 2003 from my server and rebooting it ALL my publuc folders are gone
                      so why the sad face? i thought you wanted to get rid of them?

do you mean all the public folders are gone on the 2010 box too?

so does that mean you only have one exchange server in the org now?

if you wanted (some of) the folders, but not some and now they are all gone and you only have the one server then you have no choice than to restore the dB into the same location, restart IS, then try it again...

this also requires that you have a working and recent backup to restore...

i still think adsi is your friend.

Comment

Yes I wanted alle the public folders.

Comment

Yes I wanted alle the public folders.
                          if that is the case, i find the subject line slightly misleading. you want to migrate, but not delete from the org, just one server... then once the 2010 server has the proper PFs, you want to get rid of the 2003 eX box... i think that is what your saying.

i still say that if you only have one box, then you will need to restore it to the same location.

you have a few options... one that is simple that i think you could handle is using outlook to restore the PFs on the new box. see if this will help you any:

Manage Public Folders: Copy, Move, Delete, and Recover Public Folders

Comment

Working...
                          X