No announcement yet.

Offline Defragmentation Exchange 2003 Database

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline Defragmentation Exchange 2003 Database

Hi all
    I am defragmenting my Exchange 2003 SP2 Mailbox Database. Defragmentation stated successfully.
    After 5535 seconds it returns an error message saying "Operation Terminated with Error -1014 out of database page buffer.

OS- Windows Server 2003 SP2 x32
    Exch- Exchange Server 2003 SP2
    Memory 8 GB
    Virtual Memory -:
    initial Size------- 4096 MB
    Maximum Size-- 8000MB

Please Advise
    Kamal K Sharma
    Last edited by Kamal18sharma; 16th April 2013, 09:03.

Re: Offline Defragmentation Exchange 2003 Database

What does your free disk space look like?

As a general note, if you are able to (depending on the Exchange version), you will be far better creating a new (empty) database or storage group and moving mailboxes, rather than attempting the offline defrag, which is normally assumed to run at about 1Gb per hour, with complete downtime during the process.

As another note, you will be better with a fixed size page file (virtual memory) rather than expanding /contracting between 4096 and 8000 Mb as you have at thee moment
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Offline Defragmentation Exchange 2003 Database

Take out some RAM.
      Exchange 2003 is 32bit, so cannot cope with more than 4gb of RAM. I never put more than 2gb of RAM in to the server and saw significant stability improvements. Take out some RAM, get it down to 2gb and try again. The other 6gb is wasted on Exchange 2003.

Better still migrate to something more modern.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.