Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions to upgrade Exchange 2000

Hello Experts,

First time poster here. I'd like to ask for suggestion and "the right way" to upgrade our current Exchange 2000 to 2010 and our AD to 2008 R2.

Here's our setup:
    ADC - Windows 2000 SP4
    BDC - Windows 2000 SP4 w/ Exchange 2000 SP3 + Post SP3 roll-up patches
    Member Servers - (1) File/Print & (1) Application Server
    Desktops - 20+ (about 4 still on W2KSP4 the rest are Windows XP w/ Latest SP)

What would be the best scenario (time is not a factor - but accuracy is my goal). A summarize recommendation is much appreciate.

Thank you for you help and suggestions!

Chuck B.

Re: Suggestions to upgrade Exchange 2000

- upgrade domain controllers to Functional Level suitable for Windwos 2003.
    - Install Windwos 2003 domain controllers
    - migtrate FSMO roles to 2003 domain controllers
    - now you have to do exchange, as it's on a Dc (to Exchange 2003 I suspect, not sure if there;s a path to 2010)
    - once exchange is down, shutdown the old domain controllers, demote and remove
    - now install new 2008 domain controllers, increase functional level
    - now do Ex03 to EX10 if you need to
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I'm going to be controversial...
      With 25-30 machines in total, and an AD that has been around for 13 years, seriously consider building an entirely new domain (Server 2008R2 / Exchange 2010) and migrating users and clients over to it (Using ADMT or a manual profile migration to a new account). This will give you a fresh start, rather than bringing over the build up of c**p that inevitably occurs over that length of time
      Last edited by Ossian; 9th April 2013, 17:55.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tehcamel and Ossian,

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards Ossian recommendation. Much appreciated!!!

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          I'm going to be controversial...
          With 25-30 machines in total, and an AD that has been around for 13 years, seriously consider building an entirely new domain (Server 2008R2 / Exchange 2010) and migrating users and clients over to it (Using ADMT or a manual profile migration to a new account). This will give you a fresh start, rather than bringing over the build up of c**p that inevitably occurs over that length of time
          yea, i did consider this too.. but i considered accuracy over timeframe as requested :P
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Personally I have found that a complete rebuild, being able to look at the two side by side, allows me to be as accurate as I need -- it may be more work, but even things like going through GPOs and not implementing the Win2K specific settings can be a benefit.

As I said, though, it was my opinion, not an authoritative answer
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X