Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Upgrade DC and Exchange 2010

Dear Sir,
    We have exchange 2003 SP2 running on windows 2000 SP4 Domain controller. This is the ONLY Domain Controller in our environment. The AD schema version is 30 which can accept a windows 2003 as a domain controller but not windows 2003 R2 as it requires AD schema version to be 31

Our Goal is to have a Windows 2008 R2 Domain controller standalone server and another server with Windows 2008 PLUS exchange server 2010 standard edition.

Kindly assist me for this, I donít want to run into problems as email is considered crucial for business.
    Please share your experience what is the best possible way to start working on this.

I am thinking like this:
    - Get a Windows 2003 installed, promote it to domain controller and make a PRIMARY DC by transferring all FSMO from Win 2000 Sp4 which is the ONLY DC right now
    - Next install another Windows 2003, install exchange 2003 on it and transfer all mail boxes from current exchange to this newly installed exchange 2003 on windows 2003
    - Next just power off the existing Windows 2000 DC so it is isolated from network.
    - Run adprep, and domain prep on the new Win 2003 DC ( which we promoted as primary DC in step 1) these commands prepare it to accept a windows 2008 R2 server
    - install windows 2008 R2 server, promote it to GC and Primary DC
    - Last Install another instance of Windows 2008 R2 , install exchange 2010 on it and transfer all mailboxes from the exchange installed in step 2
    - demote the exchange of step 2, demote the DC of step 1

Please review, if it is possible if not please assist and provide right guide line for this task
    Many Thanks in Advance
    Regards,

Re: Need to Upgrade DC and Exchange 2010

If it is that mission critical, get a consultant!

Main flaw I see is powering off your existing DC/Exchange box -- you will need to cleanly uninstall Exchange to remove traces from AD, and should also unPROMO it to cleanly remove from AD. if you have created a new DC and Exchange server, you should be happy you can do this. The rest seems OK

But as I said, that is the quick answer and we know nothing about your network, so a consultant will earn their money very quickly.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sir,

As i mentioned the new dc is not yet created. The idea to power it off is after we install a new temporary domain controller and transfer all roles to it also install exchange another box of exchange shift all mail boxes. moving of FSMO roles to new DC Will this create any disturbance to exchange 2003 running on the dc windows2000 presently?

The company wants to do this inhouse so I am seeking assistance. I didn't get your answer "if you created new dc and exchange you should be happy"

Comment

I am trying to say that if you are able to install a new DC and Exchange server, you should also be able to uninstall the old ones.

The point I am also trying to make is that you CANNOT just power off the old DC/Exchange box -- you MUST remove the old exchange server cleanly from your organisation or it will leave things behind in AD which will cause you problems later on.

IMHO your company is being very silly asking you to do this without proper advice and support. Everything you get here will be general advice, not tailored to your specific network (about which we know nothing apart from the limited details you have given us). If anything goes wrong (and it almost certainly will) YOU will be stuck with it. If you pay for a consultant, they will have the skills and experience to (a) analyse your environment properly, (b) plan the migration and (c) implement the migration -- probably all in far less time than it takes you to do it and with far better results. Also they will carry the can when things go wrong.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is the same question that you have asked on Technet forums. Do you think you will get a different answer asking elsewhere?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-7fb25ab25e31/

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Dear Experts,

I have moved all mailboxes to newly installed 2003 exch. but facing problem for replication of schedule+busy, it is not yet appearing on new server. Any tips to find the root cause for this ?

Also find attached warning generated in event viewer again and again. Is it related to replication of schedule + busy.

OAB is replicated and I can see same size in new server.

Thanks,
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X