Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Users - One email address?

Hi all,

I have two users in an office that each have their own email address. OK, no sweat. They would like me to create a single email address that they can both access and reply from.

We are using Exchange 2003 and (don't laugh) Outlook XP.

What should I do to create this new email address, load it up as a secondary item in each Outlook, and make sure that when they reply to an email from that it goes out from that address and not their personal one?

Thanks!

Re: Two Users - One email address?

Configure the email address as a distribution list and then grant them both Send As permissions to it.

BTW if I remember my licensing correctly each Exchange 2003 CAL automatically grants you an Outlook 2003 license, so you could upgrade at least one version. Still well out of date but Outlook 2003 was a big improvement over XP.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi Cruachan,

Thanks for the reply. Apologies, could you be more specific, please? Exchange skills = very mediocre here!

I created a Distribution Group in AD. Assigned a mailbox: [email protected]. I added the two users as members.

Have I done this right? I suspect not.

Please specify, and again, I apologize for being a n00b. Also, once created on the server side, how do I setup the clients?

THANKS!

Comment

You've done the first part, so the users will receive email sent to that address. Here's an article with steps for the Send As part.

All you need to do on the clients (once you have configured the permissions) is enable the From: field in Outlook so that users can select the correct email address for the outbound email.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi Cruachan,

OK, I'm making headway, but some things aren't quite adding up. I don't think I was clear upon re-reading my OP. So I wanna start over, if I may...

These two users need to keep their current individual email addresses. The purpose of this new general one is simply to provide the public with a means of emailing the "department" and to allow the users to reply without giving out their own addresses.

So in each users Outlook will be their own email AND a copy of the general mailbox. Their individual addresses really should only ever be for inter-office email. Should something come in to the general mailbox, they need to be able to reply from that (either user, or both).

Hopefully that makes more sense. So is what we're doing correct or should this be done a different way?

Thanks! Sorry...

Comment

I'd keep going with this method, unless there is a requirement for an actual separate mailbox for the general email address.
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Ah, yes... OK, they would like a separate mailbox for the general mailbox, and I think it makes sense. Is there a different way to do that?

Comment

Couple of ways to do it. Remove the distribution list you created and assign that SMTP address to the new mailbox. For outbound email they can then use a second Outlook profile, use OWA or open the mailbox as a second mailbox in their primary Outlook profile. IIRC you'll still need to grant them Send As permissions on the general mailbox for the last option, or email will show as "Sent on Behalf of". Might be wrong about that though, it's years since I setup anything similar in Exchange 2003.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi Cruachan,

OK, so the DL is gone. Created a user with the SMTP address. I can load it up secondarily in their Outlook profiles, but a question... How do I setup the "Send As" permissions you're talking about?

Thanks!

Comment

Same article as I linked to earlier should cover it, even though it's a mailbox rather than a DL.
                    sigpic
                    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X