Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA Configuration for Front-End Exchange 2003 Server

Good Afternoon,
    I recently installed a front-end Exchange server inot our environment. I am unable to access OWA on the new front end server and was hoping I could get some help...

I've enabled forms-based authentication on the FE, and I believe that I've linked everything properly. (However, if someone would like to briefly outline the linking process between the FE and BE, that would quickly inform me whether I've done it correctly.) Our BE used to function as the OWA and so I've mirrored all of the settings, both in IIS and Exchange System Manager to see if I could get it functioning but to no avail.

I know I'm probably not providing the right info, and I am definitly willing to provide more on request.

Thanks
    lines

Re: OWA Configuration for Front-End Exchange 2003 Server

To be frank its just a tickbox in ESM to enable the server as a front end.
    The article below details the steps.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...exchg.65).aspx

Comment

I've definitely done that step. Once it's designated as a front-end server, and forms-based authentication is enabled, should it then, in theory, allows owa access? I guess my questions specifically are:

1. Do I need to configure the SSL Certs?

2. If so, then considering that we used to use the now-back-end server for owa, do I need to transfer the SSL certs between them?

3.Is there any configuration at all that I need to do in IIS to get owa working?

Thanks for the help! I've been working with Windows for a while, but this is actually my first time getting into exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by lines View Post
        I've definitely done that step. Once it's designated as a front-end server, and forms-based authentication is enabled, should it then, in theory, allows owa access? I guess my questions specifically are:

1. Do I need to configure the SSL Certs?

2. If so, then considering that we used to use the now-back-end server for owa, do I need to transfer the SSL certs between them?

3.Is there any configuration at all that I need to do in IIS to get owa working?

Thanks for the help! I've been working with Windows for a while, but this is actually my first time getting into exchange.
        Correct that should be enough for OWA to work.

1) Yes and no. It will still work without SSL being enabled. Although the better practice is to use SSL/FBA

2) This depends largely on the namespace being used. Assuming its the same name space as in the certificate that you require for the FE then yes you can reuse it.

3) Not really no, other than assigning the certificate in IIS.

Comment

Great! thanks, I'll try a few other things based on your answers and report back

Comment

So here's where I'm at. I was able to (finally) access owa, however I cannot login. I don't necessarily think that it's an authentication issue because if I login with phony credentials, it will kick back saying that the login is incorrect - just as expected.

However, when I actually try to log in I get a 403 error (This page must be viewed over a secure channel). I've double-checked my certs and as far as I can tell, they are correctly configured, with the cert for the page matching the namespace, etc.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by lines View Post
              So here's where I'm at. I was able to (finally) access owa, however I cannot login. I don't necessarily think that it's an authentication issue because if I login with phony credentials, it will kick back saying that the login is incorrect - just as expected.

However, when I actually try to log in I get a 403 error (This page must be viewed over a secure channel). I've double-checked my certs and as far as I can tell, they are correctly configured, with the cert for the page matching the namespace, etc.

Any ideas?
              Definitely a misconfiguration in IIS. Have a look at your bindings under the web site tab.

Comment

One of the main suggestions/considerations that I 'm seeing online in relation to this is that SSL should be enabled for the FE server, but not for the back end.

Since you kinda have a better idea of where I'm at specifically, do you have any thoughts on that?

Comment

Okay so we managed to figure it out. Just in case anyone else is having this problem, here's what I did:

1.) On the FRONT-END server, I reset the virdirs in iis back to default configuration (cuz I'd done so much messing around with their various settings)
                  2.) On the BACK-END server, in IIS, on all 6 exchange virdirs, I disabled the requirement for SLL and encrpytion under Properties>Direcotry Security> Secure Communications> Edit

After restarting the respective IIS services, I was then able to get owa from my front in, and log in and see my mail box, easy as that. Good luck to anyone else working on a similar issue!

Comment

Working...
                  X