Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPC over HTTPS

Exchange 2003 & Outlook 2010

I'm trying to set this up on a remote machine that's never been on the domain or in their office and am having no luck. She can get to OWA without issue.

Does this machine need to be on the domain for the initial setup?

Re: RPC over HTTPS

No, domain membership isn't required. Do you have other machines working or is this new?
    OWA isn't a confirmation that rpc/https is published/working.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Start by spending some time using www.testexchangeconnectivity.com and report back please
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Nice tool, I haven't seen that before, thanks. Here's the results....

I just logged into OWA without any issue if that's relevant.

Autodiscover service.
        The Autodiscover service couldn't be contacted successfully by any method.

Test Steps

Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://mlbell.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
        Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.

Test Steps

Attempting to resolve the host name mlbell.com in DNS.
        The host name resolved successfully.

Additional Details
        IP addresses returned: 74.208.175.45
        Testing TCP port 443 on host mlbell.com to ensure it's listening and open.
        The port was opened successfully.
        Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid.
        The SSL certificate failed one or more certificate validation checks.

Test Steps

ExRCA is attempting to obtain the SSL certificate from remote server mlbell.com on port 443.
        ExRCA wasn't able to obtain the remote SSL certificate.

Additional Details
        The certificate couldn't be validated because SSL negotiation wasn't successful. This could have occurred as a result of a network error or because of a problem with the certificate installation.

Comment

2nd half of the test page...

Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://autodiscover.mlbell.com/Auto...toDiscover.xml
          Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.

Test Steps

Attempting to resolve the host name autodiscover.mlbell.com in DNS.
          The host name couldn't be resolved.
          Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it

Additional Details
          Host autodiscover.mlbell.com couldn't be resolved in DNS InfoDomainNonexistent.
          Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the HTTP redirect method.
          The attempt to contact Autodiscover using the HTTP Redirect method failed.

Test Steps

Attempting to resolve the host name autodiscover.mlbell.com in DNS.
          The host name couldn't be resolved.

Additional Details
          Host autodiscover.mlbell.com couldn't be resolved in DNS InfoDomainNonexistent.
          Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
          ExRCA failed to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.

Test Steps

Attempting to locate SRV record _autodiscover._tcp.mlbell.com in DNS.
          The Autodiscover SRV record wasn't found in DNS.

Comment

Have you followed the help links on the site -- start with the first error you encounter and deal with them one by one
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Have you followed the help links on the site -- start with the first error you encounter and deal with them one by one
              Yes, I'm currently going through them.

Comment

I have it working but went another way.

I was able to setup a VPN connection on her machine and then setup outlook using RPC over HTTPS but when I disco'd the VPN the connection with the Exchange server stopped.

I have the same setup and no issues and I do not use a VPN.

The 2 conflicting variables here are, 1. She was not on the domain when outlook was setup and 2. She's using Win7 Home.

Is Win7Home the reason she needs to come in through the VPN prior to connecting to Exchange?

Comment

Still having issues with it staying connected and reconnecting at times -

Could this have anything to do with the fact she's running Windows 7 HOME?

Comment

I doubt it!

Can you confirm testexchangeconnectivity.com reports everything is OK with autodiscover and outlook anywhere?
                    ( forgot which version I was dealing with... sorry, ignore above)
                    Have you tried setting up a different computer / account to confirm OA works without the VPN?
                    Last edited by Ossian; 19th January 2013, 16:35.
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

This is Exchange 2003, so all comments about Autodiscover are null and void. There is no autodiscover with this version of Exchange. Everything has to be configured manually.

RPC over HTTPS on Exchange 2003 fails for one of three reasons in my experience.

1. SSL certificate issues - not using a trusted SSL certificate.
                      2. Authentication issues - the virtual directory is set to basic, the client is set to use NTLM/Integrated instead - they should be the same.
                      3. Registry issues - not getting the registry settings correct.

The use of Windows 7 Home will have nothing to do with it.

Your use of the test site wasn't correct, because you tried to use Autodiscover. Instead use manually entered information.

You can setup the client off the domain, it doesn't require the VPN to be used. It is fiddly, because there is no Autodiscover.

http://exchange.sembee.info/2003/rpc...tp-client2.asp

However do test the configuration first without using Autodiscover, so that you get accurate results. If you aren't using a commercial trusted SSL certificate then you need to correct that to begin with. Outlook doesn't cope well with SSL prompts.

Simon.
                      --
                      Simon Butler
                      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                        This is Exchange 2003, so all comments about Autodiscover are null and void. There is no autodiscover with this version of Exchange. Everything has to be configured manually.

RPC over HTTPS on Exchange 2003 fails for one of three reasons in my experience.

1. SSL certificate issues - not using a trusted SSL certificate.
                        2. Authentication issues - the virtual directory is set to basic, the client is set to use NTLM/Integrated instead - they should be the same.
                        3. Registry issues - not getting the registry settings correct.

The use of Windows 7 Home will have nothing to do with it.

Your use of the test site wasn't correct, because you tried to use Autodiscover. Instead use manually entered information.

You can setup the client off the domain, it doesn't require the VPN to be used. It is fiddly, because there is no Autodiscover.

http://exchange.sembee.info/2003/rpc...tp-client2.asp

However do test the configuration first without using Autodiscover, so that you get accurate results. If you aren't using a commercial trusted SSL certificate then you need to correct that to begin with. Outlook doesn't cope well with SSL prompts.

Simon.
                        Thanks!! I'll check through this when I talk to her this week. I am new to exchange admin and have zero experience with SSL's so we'll see; should be tomorrow sometime.

Comment

@Simon....

Here's what I get after changing #2. Authentication issues to NTLM. Even when I change it back I get it.

No issues connected with the VPN...

"There is a problem with the proxy server's security certificate, %s. The security certificate is not from a trusted certifying authority. Outlook is unable to connect to this server. (Error code 8 ) "

I'm uncertain on how to address 1 & 3 and I've followed the link you have step by step and I'm still getting the same error.
                          Last edited by blkbelt65; 23rd January 2013, 16:17.

Comment

Got it!!!!!!

For some reason, when I said to install the certificate on her machine the error stayed the same. When I tried it a 2nd time, this time selecting the second option and manually telling it where to install the cert, it worked fine and no VPN was needed.

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Working...
                            X