Exchange Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Advice

I'm looking for advice into what would be the best method to get our Exchange straightened out, at least to the point that it scares me less. Here's the situation:

I recently replaced the Network Admin, IT Guru, etc. Pick your prefered title, he was the Jack-of-all-trades as I am now. Unfortunately, I did not follow him directly and the interim admin had an issue with the Exchange 2003 mailbox store servers. They were filling up on him, so he freed some space... he deleted the log files...

We're using BackupAssist v5.2.2 to backup the Exchange DBs, Running Exchange 2003 (Ver 6.5 Build 7638.2: SP 2), Windows Server 2k3 Enterprise.

ESEUtil reports that both stores (Mailbox Stores on 2 Back-End servers) are in a state of "Dirty Shutdown", but they do mount and allow clients to connect and use them (send/receive/etc.)

If I have a server failure and attempt to restore these Stores, the backup refuses to mount.

So here's where my question comes in:

• I want to get back to solid footing: a consistent, clean state. Something where my backups are actually functional.
    • I would like to upgrade Exchange to 2010 while I am at it.

And the actual question(s):

Would you recommend repairing the current DBs then doing a 2010 transition, or since the DBs do mount, would you recommend doing the transition and skip the repair? By repair I mean "ESEUtil /p"... as the log files have been deleted I can't use the steps to read the log files into the DB...

Any advice on how to get out of this hole w/o having to tell the users: "You may lose emails... sorry *shrug*" would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Exchange Advice

change logging to circular logging. dismount store.
    Remount store.
    verify that it is indeed circular logging.
    Change from circular logging to normal logging.
    Dismount store.
    Remount store.
    Confirm logs are being created correctly.
    confirm your backup is truncating logs correctly.
    verify that dirty-shutdown message is gone.

then consider the ugprade..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I would be tempted to create a new database and move the users into that whilst it is still online.
      Do you still have space issues? Do the backups show errors (exchange aware ones should clear out log files).
      If the DBs are dismounted again I would be tempted to take a copy somewhere just in case.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        change logging to circular logging. dismount store.
        Remount store.
        verify that it is indeed circular logging.
        Change from circular logging to normal logging.
        Dismount store.
        Remount store.
        Confirm logs are being created correctly.
        confirm your backup is truncating logs correctly.
        verify that dirty-shutdown message is gone.
        Thanks TehCamel, I'll give this a try as soon as I've researched it some. Never heard of circular logging. Something I can follow up on, yay!!

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        I would be tempted to create a new database and move the users into that whilst it is still online.
        Do you still have space issues? Do the backups show errors (exchange aware ones should clear out log files).
        If the DBs are dismounted again I would be tempted to take a copy somewhere just in case.
        For elaboration purposes let's call the stores Mail1 and Mail2.

I upgraded the drives and expanded the partition on Mail2, and have migrated some of the users from Mail1 to Mail2. Some would not move, I had to recreate their mailboxes on Mail2 and then using a third party program, I mounted Mail1's store and moved their files into Mail2.

Once I finish migrating from Mail1 to Mail2 my plan was to retire Mail1 as it is in worse shape... I had to remove it from the backup routine because it was failing and making the scheduled job fail as well (The new plan is to retire the Win 2003/Exchange 2003 servers and replace with virtual Win2008.R2/Exchange 2010 servers). Mail2 space = 381GB Free of 546GB. Total mailbox size left on Mail1 = less than 15GB.

The backup wasn't showing errors, but Mail1 crashed and that is when I discovered the issues I have (Since the crash the backup errors on that server and I've had to remove it from the scheduled job). The best I could do was restore a system image I had taken 4 months before the crash. Then, using that third party program, I mounted the restored from backup db (which would not mount in exchange), linked it to the restored system image, and moved the emails that WOULD move. Then I finished out by sending those that would not move into pst's and mounting those to each respective user's Outlook client (2007/2010) and moved them from that into the inbox...
        __________________________________________________ ____________

Here's my thought's after reading your responses:

1. Try to do the circular logging steps suggested by TehCamel and see if that restores my stores to a clean state.
        2. Whether that works or not, start setting up Exchange 2010 and transition the mailboxes into that. The mailboxes that refuse to move will have to be exported and recreated. (This should circumvent the need to create a new store in 2003 and move the mailboxes into that).

Now to figure out how to do the 2003 --> 2010 transition without bringing down the services (OWA, Outlook, etc.) for an extended period of time... wish I had a spare public IP...

Thank you both,

-P. Ott

Comment

Working...
        X