Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

outlook 2003 pop3 Account is unable to communicate with Exchange 2003 - Problem only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outlook 2003 pop3 Account is unable to communicate with Exchange 2003 - Problem only

outlook 2003 pop3 Account is unable to communicate with Exchange 2003 - Problem only with newly created Emails with Exchange 2003

Can anybody help. i am in great trouble having this problem.......

I recently joined a new firm where exchange server 2003 is using just for internal communication.

there are around 30 users (Emails) already configured with outlook 2003 pop3 account to communicate via exchange server 2003 and all are properly working.

Problem starts here, as follows....

Now after few days i need to create 3 new users(Emails).

1- I go to AD Snap-in in Exchange server 2003 computer where i create 3 users e.g user1, user2 and user3 and hence the Exchange Email box e.g [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] successfully.

Now assume for only user1 ([email protected])

2- Now I go to client machine and add a new outlook pop3 account for [email protected]

Your name:Mudassar
    Email Address:[email protected]
    Incoming mail server(POP3):192.168.1.8 (Exchange Sever 2003 PC)
    Outgoing mail server(SMTP):192.168.1.8 (Exchange Sever 2003 PC)
    User name:user1
    Password:123456
    Remember password is Checked & Log on using secure password authentication(SPA) is Unchecked.

3- Now when I press the button 'Test Account Settings...', A prompt 'Enter Network password' is opened again and again after not accepting the logon credentials for user1 which was

Serve:192.168.1.8
    user:user1
    password:123456

Please note that all the other settings are absolutely correct and are just same as for the old Emails already working OK.

Also note that in the same client machine if i re-configure any old Email (which was working OK) in Outlook 2003, it works fine 100%, i mean it accepts Logon Credentials and hence send and receive mails, but when configure any of the new account it gives the above problem.

Also I matched the newly created users settings with the old ones in Active Directory and both are same.

Same Issue with OWA. After three attempts of login, Explorer returns me the following error.

http/1.1 403 unauthorized
    But when login with old Email users then it works fine.

It seems that the Ex-administrator put a tight security anywhere at the time of leaving the firm or what else settings in Exchange System manager that i am still unable to catch.

If Anybody GURU there of Exchange 2003 then Pls help this brother, cuz i am totally stuck cuz of this issue. And ofcourse THX in advance for the PPL who love to care others.

Mudassar Akram.
    [MOD EDIT EMAIL REMOVED]
    Last edited by Ossian; 3rd January 2013, 08:38.

Re: outlook 2003 pop3 Account is unable to communicate with Exchange 2003 - Problem o

Moved to Exchange 2003 forum
    Live email link edited out to prevent spamming
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: outlook 2003 pop3 Account is unable to communicate with Exchange 2003 - Problem o

Have you checked to make sure that OWA and POP are enabled on the Exchange Features tab of the user account properties?

Comment

Yes. Every thing is correct because i am able to connect using Old Email Accounts.

Problem only occurs with new Emails which i have created after my joining.

Note: ISA 2004 and Exchange 2003 both are installed in same computer. May be there are some security issues in ISA 2004 with new users.

Mudassar.

Comment

I think he means each user account in AD has options to enable POP3 etc so you need to check them individually. Having said that I think they are default on anyway but def worth a check.

Is there any reason why you are using POP3 still though. If Exchange is just used for internal communication then you should just be able to create a "Microsoft Exchange or compatible" connection.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes Andy..

You r right. But this scenario is already been implemented and i have to cope with it, I mean i can not change it just after my joining. Although it is worth irritating to handle the PST files. But changing the system will take some time.

No one can resolve the issue i have posted. I also checked the security rights of old users and copy these to the new ones but Issue is still there.

I thank earlier that it could be a problem of connection limits. I then checked the system manager for pop3 connection limits under the pop3 virtual server there were 30 connections allowed and also there are 30 mailboxes in the mail store.

I then chnage the limit to 60 and was excited that problem would now resolve but surprising me that problem still there.

Mudassar Akram.

Comment

Maybe the service needs a restart before that change works?
              Try turning on the diagnostic logging for POP3Svc in the servers properties and see what shows up in the event log when you try to login.

You don't need to change anything to use Outlook's "normal" connection. Have you tried just connecting Outlook to Exchange without selecting POP3?
              The fact OWA fails too is concerning.
              Might be worth checking if there is a group that the old users are a member of but that the new ones aren't maybe?
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

ok, back to basics testing.

From one of the new computers:

1. Telnet 192.168.1.8 port 110
                2. send text user user1
                3. send text pass 123456
                4. send text list

these steps should:
                1. Be able to open a connection
                +OK Hello there. <[email protected]>
                2. Confirm a username.
                +OK Password required.
                3. Logon successfully.
                +OK logged in.
                4. Get a list of emails.
                +OK POP3 clients that break here, they violate STD53.
                1 6201
                2 14226
                (etc)

From there, hopefully you can work out where it's going wrong.

(if it fails at step one, then it's not listening for pop3, or there's a firewall in the way)
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Andy...

I also tried exchange Email account instead of POP3 and when i put the new user name in the 'check name' box it gives me error i.e 'The name could not be resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list'.

But when put old User name and press 'check name', it resolves successfully.

Please if u can give me your Email address i can also send u complete Screen shots to understand the problem completely.

Mudassar Akram.

Comment

Best to keep everything on the forum for everyones benefit.
                    Are you sure there are no errors in the event log. I realise these accounts are new but can you confirm they aren't hidden from the GAL. When you created them did they auto-populate their email addresses?
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

Dear Andy....

I do not know whether these new accounts are hidden or not from GAL. How i can check these.

But it is 100% confirmed that when these accounts are created in AD their Emails are also automatically created.

One thing i noticed today in the

recipients--->recipient update services--->recipient update services(domain)
                      --->recipient update services(Enterprise...)

In the properties of above both, The values entered for the 'Exchange Server' and 'windows domain controller' are same i.e MAIL and mail.abc.com.pk respectively., while our actual DC name is server1.

i.e our

Exchange server full computer name is 'mail.abc.com.pk'
                      DC server full computer name is 'server1.abc.com.pk'

Is there something wrong with the values of above I mean should not be there the value i.e server1.abc.com.pk instead of mail.abc.com.pk

Regards,

Mudassar.

Comment

Do you just have one server? Do you recognise this other server?

There is a tick box on the account that shows if it is hidden (check Exchange Advanced and Hide from Exchange address lists).
                        cheers
                        Andy

Comment

did you undertake any of my rather complete instructions on how to test pop3 and what's going wrong ?
                          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                          X