Exchange 2003 deleting all incoming email

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 deleting all incoming email

I have an SBS 2003 system running Exchange standard edition with about twenty users/clients connected. They use a mixture of PCs and Macs. One of the users has a mac and has been using Entourage as their mail client with no problems for well over a year. Recently, he advised me that he hadn't received any e-mail for a few days. On checking (using OWA for access) , I eventually found that all his recent mail had been delivered straight into the 'deleted items' folder - which he hadn't, understandably, thought to check. On testing, any new incoming emails were suffering this fate.

I've tried switching him from Entourage to his Mac's built-in client (Mail for Macs), and tried repairing/rebuilding the Entourage data-base with no luck. He has no mail rules set and the mail recovered from his deleted items folder shows no signs of having been classified as spam by either the exchange system or our anti-virus (Panda). I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next and would welcome any comments, suggestions or advice. He's the only user to be suffering from this problem, so far...

Re: Exchange 2003 deleting all incoming email

Sounds like you've looked in the obvious places already. Presumably the user has the same experience on Windows too as you've indicated the emails are delivered to the deleted items folder in OWA. Personally id export the contents of the mailbox to .pst. Delete the old mailbox in Exchange and create a new one and re-import the content. As this sounds like some underlying corruption with the mailbox unless you fancy getting down and dirty with MFCMapi, which probably isn't worth wasting the time on.

Comment

Have you checked OWA for rules as well just in case (not sure how the Apple stuff looks).
      May also be worth just moving the mailbox to another server.
      You could also try things like using Outlook and opening with cleanrules and maybe resetfolders. Plus running isinteg against the DB.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks both. I've found a thread here: * that looks as though it may help. Although it refers to Exchange 2007, I'm guessing that the same thing applies to E2003 as well. Not sure if I can use the Windows shell and cmdapplets needed on E2003, but I'm going to investigate and have a go. Thanks again for the input.

* Dang - won't let me post URLs. Well, the thread is at a site called forums (dot) msexchange (dot) org, after that if anyone needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Walker View Post
          Thanks both. I've found a thread here: * that looks as though it may help. Although it refers to Exchange 2007, I'm guessing that the same thing applies to E2003 as well. Not sure if I can use the Windows shell and cmdapplets needed on E2003, but I'm going to investigate and have a go. Thanks again for the input.

* Dang - won't let me post URLs. Well, the thread is at a site called forums (dot) msexchange (dot) org, after that if anyone needs it.
          You can't use Exchange powershell cmdlets against Exchange 2003. And you don't need to. Andys suggestion may work but that will require a windows machine as the Outlook switches don't work on OSX/Entourage. Personally though id just nuke the mailbox. For one user its not worth the time or trouble.

Comment

Thanks - that will save me some time and aggro! I'm drawn to scrapping and recreating the mail box as you suggest, but wondering what has caused this in the first instance. I don't want to find that another and another and another user starts reporting this, so I'll probably use the tools Andy suggests as well and try and nip things in the bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Walker View Post
              Thanks - that will save me some time and aggro! I'm drawn to scrapping and recreating the mail box as you suggest, but wondering what has caused this in the first instance. I don't want to find that another and another and another user starts reporting this, so I'll probably use the tools Andy suggests as well and try and nip things in the bud.
              For one mailbox i wouldn't run Isinteg. Seems over kill to me as only one user is affected. If you saw this trending across multiple mailboxes then it would be worth investigating a root cause.

Comment

Working...
              X