No announcement yet.

Backup exchange 2003 through backup folder

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup exchange 2003 through backup folder

Hi everyone.

I have a server with exchange 2003. Im trying to backup this server with backup exec 2012 to a remote network QNAP NAS share folder through backup-to-folder option. The backup is fine but i cannot managed to backup exchange with the GRT (Granular) Technology. I can only backup the entire database, so i can restore only the entire database. I cannot backup or restore mailbox by mailbox, or email by email. I know this is due to some limitation to the backupexec.

My questions are:

1. is there a way to resolve this
    2. if not, what alternative backup software might solve the problem

Thank you for any response

Good day

Re: Backup exchange 2003 through backup folder

Could you give us a clue what version of BackupExec you are using?

Look at Backup Assist -- Sembee (our guru) speaks very highly of it
    But also look at the many posts here about GRT being effectively useless!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Backup exchange 2003 through backup folder

Is the Exchange server a virtual server? What error are you getting when you attempt the GRT job?
      Just for testing purposes does the GRT backup work if done on a local drive?

Use the B2D test tool to see what could be going on.
      This should be located at C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec B2Dtest.exe.
      Save the B2DTest_32.exe (32 bit) or B2DTest_64.exe (64 bit), to any Backup Exec media server that has access to the target device and run it from a command prompt window
      The tool moves about 4GB of pseudo data back and forth from the device up to 4 times, so please be aware that it may take some time to complete and may impact the performance of a production environment.

Please post the results.