Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 database size larger than mailboxes

Hi all,

I am having an issue where exchange 2003 database size is larger than the size of the mailboxes. Here are the details:

priv1.stm: 49gig
    priv1.edb: 23gig

The size of all the mailboxes which I added up mannually in exchange is 29gig.

Here is the App log event:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 9685
    Date: 16/11/2012
    Time: 9:36:26 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: XXXX
    Description:
    Exchange store 'First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (XXXX)': The current physical size of this database (the .edb file and the .stm file) is 73 GB. This database has exceeded the size limit of 72 GB. However, the logical free space in this database has not yet been evaluated. Therefore, it is possible that this database contains enough free space to bring its logical size below the maximum size limit.

Now I thought an offline defrag might help but I have discovered the white space is only 3mb through the following event:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 1221
    Date: 16/11/2012
    Time: 4:15:00 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: XXXXX
    Description:
    The database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (XXXXXX)" has 3 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

So unless I am wrong an offline defrag won't help as there is very little white space. So I am wondering what is taking up all the space and how I can reduce it if possible or at least find out what it is. I realise that the total mailbox size may not be exactly the same but this size difference seems to much. I have done some searching on this problem but I have found no solutions. Anybody have any idea's?

Re: Exchange 2003 database size larger than mailboxes

Also deleted item retenion is set to 30 days and the database size difference has been happening for the past 4 months so it can't be this.

Comment

Exchange will not reduce database size, so it is likely you have a fair amount of white space -- retained items and deleted mailboxes will also come into it.

If you have Enterprise, you could create a new dB and move the mailboxes to it
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Think the whitespace was noted.
        It could still be deleted items retention as this obviously grows daily as well as deletes daily. I've seen occasions where some mailboxes have duplicated contents but these didn't show in ESM. The duplication was above the "top of information store" level and only visible with mfcmapi (probably a botched restore).
        You could look at running ISINTEG on the DB to see if it has errors but I'm a big fan, if you have space, of Ossian's suggestion of moving the mailboxes to a new DB. Keep the old one online until all users have recognised the change.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The size of the mailboxes will NEVER come anywhere close to the physical size of the database. This will be for many reasons, including white space, deleted item retention and single instance storage, but also because ESM doesn't show the complete information. It only shows you the mailbox sizes from one of the database files. Basically what you see in ESM will be the minimum the size can be, the actual size could be double or more:

From Microsoft:

"When you view the space that a mailbox uses in Exchange System Manager, the amount only includes the space that is used by the Priv.edb file. The amount does not include the space that the Priv.stm file uses."

You only get accurate mailbox sizes with Exchange 2007 and higher.

This old blog posting of mine will explain everything:
          http://blog.sembee.co.uk/post/Exchan...nd-Limits.aspx

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies and that explains it for me pretty well.

Comment

as a side note.. your event logs you posted above:

The first one said "private store exceeds 72GB"
              the next one, the Event 1221, shows 3 MB white spac.e But it shows it in the public store, not the private store.. so it's not really relevant. you could have much more white spac ein your private store..
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                as a side note.. your event logs you posted above:

The first one said "private store exceeds 72GB"
                the next one, the Event 1221, shows 3 MB white spac.e But it shows it in the public store, not the private store.. so it's not really relevant. you could have much more white spac ein your private store..
                That sir is a good catch!
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
                X