Exchange 2000 and NT4.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2000 and NT4.0

My company is currently planning to integrate exchange 2000 with our existing NT server 4.0. The thing is though, we now understand that exhcange 2000 only supports Active Directory as its direcotry handler, which means we cannot integrate exchange 2000 with the NT 4.0 server we are curretnly using because we are not using AD. So my question now is, is there any way at all to use exchange 2000 without upgrading our current NT4.0 server to w2kserver?

as far as my knowlegde goes, is my answer:

no, exchange completely depends on AD. If you want to use Exchange 2000 you really need to migrate to a AD network.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Just to back up Dumber,

No, Exchange 20000 needs active directory hence it needs 2000 Server. It can co-exist with Exchange 5.5 but in your scenario you will need to migrate to 2000 Server first, then install exchange.

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'll add my 2 cents:

No, E2K won't work with NT, but you CAN create a new W2K AD domain, create a trust between the 2 domains, and use AD Connector with a 2-way connection agreement.

That way any change in NT will be replicated to the AD domain and E2K, and the other way around. This will also help you when you'll decide to fully move to W2K AD, because you'll already have the users, groups and other objects populated in AD.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Daniel,

Never worked with this scenario, so I have to ask:
          will it also migrate sidHistory attribute to AD or will it just mirror the objects ?
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

It depends on what version of ADC you're using, the latest ones can.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i have to ask, lets just say that i do indeed have a new domain with W2K and creat a AD. it doesnt and wont have the same user groups and settings as the NT domain. how do I migrate or synchronize the users from NT to the w2K AD? since all users are now logged on only to the NT domain, will this be transparent to them?

please advise, i have just installed another NT4.0 on another server cuz i want to try to install exchange 5.5 on it but then the NT4.0 is giving me hell of a time even with the network adapter, its not doing any IO address mapping and all that so if i have a choice i would still go back to w2k server and e2k. damn i hate NT

thanks dude!!

Comment

To migrate the users and groups from NT to W2K you'll need to run ADMT. See my site for more details.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

NT4 end_of_life is looming and security updates etc. will be unavailable from Q4 on this year, so you would be ill advised to base a new Exchange rollout on an NT4 platform.
                  2K Server will run on almost all old hardware back to PII/P-Pro (No P-Pro's for 2k3 though, throw 512+ Mb of memory on one of your older boxes to hold the Global catalog and FSMO roles to act as the root of your namespace and put your time into updating or consolidating the NT4 boxes onto some newer 2k-2k3 application and mail servers.

Just my opinion... but look into your options...

Vern

Comment

Working...
                  X